1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ibanez sr 305

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EatADeadGoat, Sep 18, 2010.

1. EatADeadGoat

EatADeadGoat

Aug 29, 2010
    So, I haven't had a chance to try out this bass yet: but I'm looking to get it. I was just wondering if anyone here has played/owned one, and their thoughts & opinions on it.

2. April Ethereal

April Ethereal

Jul 23, 2010
    Yes, I have. Its an amazing bass for the price. It feels great to play, and can cover a wide variety of music genres. (I normally used it for death metal, progressive metal/ rock/ jazz, you name it! lol) Its also constructed very well, I never had a problem with mine... regret selling it though =( Hope this helps you out!

3. EatADeadGoat

EatADeadGoat

Aug 29, 2010
    Yeah, that is pretty helpful, thanks a bunch! SIGH. $350 is just way out of my spending range though, and GC sellbacks are just major ripoffs. 100 for a 300 dollar bass? HELL NO.

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I own an SR535 and have owned many versions of the SR since their inception back in 1987.

Overall the construction of the 305 is decent. It can take some abuse and not break on you. The necks are like all other SR necks, slim and very comfortable, although the tight string spacing can be a P.I.A. for the plucking hand, especially when you need to slap & pop.

I don't think the 305 is very versatile either. I've not been able to get a wide variety out of tones from them when I was testing them. It sounds "thin" IMO.

You'd probably be better off looking around for a used bass. For the same price as a new 305 you'll have a wider variety of basses with better quality body wood, hardware, and tone, available to you.

The most important thing you can do though is to get out there and actually start playing as many different basses as you can. This is truly the only way you'll know if the bass is right for you.

5. lhoward

lhoward

Apr 27, 2003
    Western NY State
    Another possibility if close string spacing is an issue is to consider a used Ibanez BTB. I bought a used BTB455 5 years ago for $400 and have been very happy with it. Intonation is excellent. Besides the wider string spacing (almost like the spacing on a 4-string), its active circuitry allows for a wide range of tonal variations. I agree with cassanova that the SR305DX is somewhat limited tonally although I've been very satisfied with it. I've owned a used one since early 2002 and paid $305 for it.

FYI, a quick check of eBay shows two SR305's on auction for less than $150:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=ibanez+sr305+basses&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

Lloyd Howard

6. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    2 weeks ago I bought a 2005 MII SR300FM for $160 at a pawn shop. Condition is 8/10. This is the discontinued 2 band version with 3 knobs (vol, pup sweep and stacked bass/treb).

You should be able to find a used 300 for $200 or less.

7. LB75

LB75

Aug 29, 2009
    Austell Georgia
    Yeah pawn shops are good placed to look. I recently got an SR400 for $130 at one, condition 9.75/10. And I'm about to get a GK Backline 210 for $200 that looks new from the same place.

8. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I played on recently at GC preferred its sound and acoustic resonance to the 500 and 700 series basses.

9. The problem with those basses is the electronics. They're way WAY worse than a 505 bass, electronically. The pickups and preamp are both pretty bad, which is why I sold the one I bought pretty quickly. They do feel great to play, though.

As for price, sell your current bass that you want to trade, and buy a used 505, IMO

10. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    How are they way worse? I found useable tones (for me).

11. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    The 2 band EQ on my SR300FM is okay, but not nearly as good as the 3 band on my SR500.

The 3 band has more punch (cutting thru a live mix) and way more tone control (and not just becuase it has a mid band control).

I bought this 300 because (1) at $160 it was a cheap addition to my Ibanez collection, (2) I love the faux flame mahogony finish (which Ibanez stopped making for the 300 in 2007)and (3) my bass collection was lacking a P/J pup configuration. I would never have bought the 300 as a main or even a backup instrument.

However, I think a used 300 at $200 or less is a great bass for a beginner. Its def better than my Squire Bronco ($150 new) which I bought as a modification project.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021