Ibanez SR8OO

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ninkompoop, Sep 19, 2003.

1. ninkompoop

Apr 20, 2003
    Hello, Just looking for a couple opinions.

I currently am using an Ibanez EX series 5 string, which I am pretty comfortable with. My hands are quite small, so I am definetly in need of something with a smaller neck. I would like to get a 4 string, as I've really been getting into slapping & popping rescently. There is a used shop around here in which I have a credit for of about $500..So, in any case, I do have to buy 'something' from them eventually. They have a used Soundgear 800 that has caught my attention.

I haven't actually gone in and seen it yet, I will be doing so within the next couple days. They are asking 599$ Canadian, it comes with a case. I've read some past posts regarding this bass..So far it seems like an 'ok' buy, however, it does sound pricey, and a few people seem to have had neck warping problems, aswell as issues with the preamp. Although, many people have also said it was a very nice reliable instrument. I have read mixed opinions regarding its slapping tone, So I guess I'll have to hear it for myself before I make a decision.

How exactly can I check for neck warpage in the store? I mean, even if its warping a little bit I dont think I'd want to get it, as I really cant afford to run into many problems. I'm very limited on cash, so this will be a semi-long term purchase..

Here is the stores description: black finish, offset double cutaway, bolt on neck with rosewood fretboard, P/J style AFR pickups, volume/ blend/ Vari-mid 3 band EQ controls, made in Japan

Any thoughts?
  2. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Nice ax, a little pricey though. I would go 400-450CD. I have 3 modded 810's, although not a "salon" brand, I love them. You may wish to mod it with a new preamp and pups. Plays great and fairly versatile IMO. Go for it if the price is right.

3. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i used to have one and loved it. the japaneese models are defenilty better quality than the current SR800s. as for the neck i would stay away from very heavy gauge strings, i noticed those caused problems at times. great slap bass, very versatile as well.
  4. ninkompoop

Apr 20, 2003
    Thank's guys, I'll probaby end up checking it out today.

heh, I might end up trying to get them to knock the price down a bit, but depending on its shape..maybe theres a reason its priced that high.

Anyway, Thanks again :)
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Alright, time for my two cents:

I started of on an Ibanez SR400, and after about a year started gigging, so I needed a backup bass, bought an 800 and loved it so much I bought another. I dropped EMG's in one and loved it (very much the same exact thing Robbie Merrill of Godsmack uses today) but all and all they were good solid instruments for the year I owned them. They were light, stayed in tune for a while, looked good and definately boomed. Kept one in E with a detuner to D and one in D with a detuner to C and they both worked great.

I don't remember what I paid for mine, bought both used and I'm not exactly sure about the American/Canadian conversion so I really can't comment about the price, only the bass. Keep us posted on what you do.
  6. ninkompoop

Apr 20, 2003
    Well after an hour or so in the store of getting to know this bass, I decided to buy it. It does say made in japan, but doesn't have active electronics in it. Which somewhat confuses me, because to my understanding all 800's should be active.. Either way, I think I'd prefer to have no electronics, as I can really imagine needing a battery all the time becomming a nuisance.

The neck on this thing is crazy. It's basically a guitar neck with bass strings on it. I'm not exactly sure if Ilike the sound it puts out. It sounds very 'metalic' compared to my other bass ... I'm not sure how else to describe it. I was thinking maybe if the pickups were replaced it would help give it that 'smoother' bassy feel, but I also thought maybe its the thin neck that is contributing to this 'different' sound..

I really like slapping with this thing so far, the strings are nice and close to the neck, and its got that nice springy sound, which I think kicks ass. Although, I still think new pickups may definetly be something to consider. These ones say AFR-P and AFR-J on them. Would anyone say these are these worth replacing?

Here it is:

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    I have a SR 406. You wouldn't think it has a battery in it because you have to remove a few screws on the back plate. This thru me for a loop when I first purchased it. I suspect the 800 series are a better instrument than the 400 series.
  8. ninkompoop

Apr 20, 2003
    Wow, so it is active. Apparently the guys at the store didn't even think to look behind the plate. Thanks for pointing that out! :)

Anyone think this stuff should be worth replacing? I dont know much about pickups/electronics at all.. =/
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've never really liked the electronics on the 800 series, always preferred the 400's 3-band EQ instead. If they sound good, don't replace them, but I see a lot of those floating around with EMG's for a reason.