Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez SRX-700 endorsed by Carol Kaye

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fresnorich, Feb 16, 2004.

1. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    From her website:
    "CK exclusively endorses and uses the following gear:
    Ibanez basses and guitars:
    Bass: SRX700HS Elec. 4-string bass (for studio work rock-pop-soul recording, and for jazz) with Thomastik Jazz Flatwound strings
    www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=SRX700
    Guitar: Solid-body RG321MHMOL Elec. Guitar for bebop jazz playing
    www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=RG321MH
    with Thomastik George Benson Jazz Elec. Flatwound strings (11's on the top)
    Seymour Duncan pickups and Polytone Mini-Brute IV and Sonic Amps. "

Should I re-consider this bass? It was on my list at one time, but I had questions about the quality and tone compared to something like a Fender or G&L.

I think she was considering switching to a Sterling, but decided to go with the Ibanez after this year's NAMM.

Anyone had a chance to give this bass a serious look?

2. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I own an SRX-705, and I have to say I was pleasently surprised. Sure it has its faults, but overall its a great bass for the money. Tip though: I had to lower the pickups on mine quite a bit because they were set so high.

3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I own an SRX705. Had an SR400 and EDA905 before it. SR400 was poop and the EDA was........you'll just have to play one. The SRX owns them all. period. I was starting to have serious doubts about Ibanez, and for the most parts I still have those doubts. But the BTB and upper SRX series are nice IMO.

4. i went to my neighborhood Guitar Center and played on one with an ampeg ba115 and a gk combo, it sounded good on both

5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I was fairly impressed at the SRX-700 before Carol Kaye became an endorser - I'd say to consider the instrument regardless of who manufactures or promotes it.

...besides, I'm sure when the strings die she'll throw it out and find a new company. ;) When a player switches between three companies in short order (Aria, Fender, Ibanez) and states each time that this is is the best instrument she's ever played, that opinion doesn't mean all that much to me.