1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez, the thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big mark, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    Hi all
    Well after a rubbish visit to a music store yesterday, today I have been blown away by tone.
    I always knew Ibanez made good bass's but hell!!
    Been playing the SR's today but having looked at the web site I need to understand the tonal range in the SR Vs SRT Vs BTB
    I was focused on a 4 string but if Ibanez can give me a really taught B I would be tempted.
    I'm not a wood guru so comments on wood choice in these ranges would also be very helpful
    Cheers
    M

2. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    I think the Ibanez BTB's are excellent, and the 35" scale gives them a nice B string.

3. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Well, the BTBs have a 35" scale and a larger neck profile. They normally have a good B string.

Good tone w/excellent midrange adjustment

Bob

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I have the BTB 676 and the B string is alright at best, it's not awful, I have played MUCH worse, but I wouldn't describe it as great, that is for sure.

If you want a great B get a Carvin or a Dingwall, I got used to avoiding the B on my Ibanez because of how loose it was, on my Carvin it is just as tight as the other strings, it is great.

5. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    I've seen a lot of love for the BTB, how's the balance, does that top horn keep neck dive in check?

6. devilman666

devilman666

Apr 23, 2011
    manchester nh
    Having a loose strings means the gauge is too light for you . Try putting the correct guage string to get the tension you want then check and see if you like the SOUND of the B string. I play a 34 scale sr and with the correct guage have an amazing B string. The reason 35 scale is prefered is you can get the tension with lighter gauges.

7. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    666 what are you running on the D 135?

8. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yeah they're kick-A and keep a good reputation for quality. I picked up an '83 Ibanez Roadstar II P-bass knockoff here on the TB classifieds and its been my main player. Pretty sure its supposed to be an entry level bass but right now I'm preferring its tone and playability over anything else.

9. hip63

hip63

Sep 14, 2010
    I received my 3rd ibanez this week. Just hard to go wrong with'em.
    Two of them I have modded because I felt they could be improved on in the electronics dept. (budget basses) but great players all the same.

But my SR505 I haven't touch because I'm not sure I want to. It sounds so good as is and has, I think, the most favorite feeling neck of all my basses. It is also the most comfortable bass I own. The contoured body just sucks right up to ya. :)

It has offshore Bartolini passive soapbars and an active 3 band EQ with mid freq select switch. The bass has some serious thunder!

My SR505 is a 5 stinger but it does come in a 4 and you should be able to find one for really good price if you are inclined to get one.

My SR505 is 34" scale, I run the heavy gauge rotosounds rounds and the low b feels just fine.

hip63 :p

10. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    Cheers guys, any feedback on the SRT?

11. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    The BTB's come with a neck through design since the 400 series. They are great basses with a good sound, the B string on the BTB's 35 inch scale makes it very massive sounding!

As for the SR : They totally have my attention! I'll be buying a SR Premium 1206-vnf later this year. The neck is very fast due to it's thin shape and the oil finish. The B sounds a bit muddy, cause most SR basses have a 34 ich scale length.

I haven't tried any SRT so I can't judge about those..

12. Maz

Maz

Jan 9, 2011
    Albuquerque
    I have a BTB570 -4 string so I can't speak to the B string tension, but there is no neck dive. Overall I think the SR's are more comfortable to play. The neck is good on the BTB and the sound is excellent. My BTB is really well made but the body shape sacrifices some of the Sr's ergonomics.

13. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    Played another SR today, my goodness they are sweet. Think the premium SR is looking like a number one choice. What is the BTB equivalent of the premium ?

14. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Hmm.. That would be a hard one, since there aren't so much BTB's anymore being produced with Premium equivalent.. Maybe you can find a BTB Prestige on Ebay. They are rare to find, but they have excellent playability and sound.

If you still think about the SR Premium, try to get a 25th Anniversary bass. Beautiful Padauk top wood and of course the same quality like the other Premium models :)

15. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    I have one of the SR 25th anniversary basses. It a great bass. The electronics are different than other SR models and sound a good deal different. The nords are more even full range tone with not as mid range you get from the barts or ibanez pickups.

I also have one of the SRX705 which I really like. The current SR700 series is pretty close to this. I have have BTB575 which is a good bass as well. The difference in nack and scale really work for funk and slap. If the neck were smaller I would play this one more.

16. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    Great info guys!!! Thx, keep it coming

17. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    No thanks Big Mark. Just keep on asking what you would like to know and we'll help you out ;) That's where Talkbass is for :)

18. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
  19. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    I have an SRT800dx bought when they first came out. Neckthru, thicker body (the thickness is more consistent. Most newer SR bodies are agressively tapered to thin edges. The SRT does not have the aggressive tapering),

thicker neck (maybe like a smaller P-Bass neck or a Stingray neck). Pickups are American EMGs. It was my first experience with EMGs and i didnt like them. Solid pre-amp, though. I sold them and am now waiting for a slightly custom set of "Sidewinders" from SGD Luthier.

The body woods vary, but the finishes are nice. The only objectively bad thing is that the knobs are cheap and pretty tall.

The "900" model SRT was a limited run with a slimmer neck, more like a typical SR or SRX.

20. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Nice story! :) Well, I'm not a real EMG lover eather. I like the Nordstrand Big Singles a lot! Bartolini is good too, but not good enough for me :p