Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ludwig109, Dec 15, 2005.

1. i have heard on here that the ibanez sr506's E and B strings lack punch and was a dissapointment to many anyone who owns this bass or has played it opinions.
  2. The only reason for that is the short scale. Buy a BTB406 or 1206, the 35" scale really seems to make a difference.
  3. is it really that much of a difference?
  4. i think so. It's just tighter. Punch can also be affected by poor eq, and strings. DR's are tight and punchy, and mid-mids are always helpful.
  5. so if drs on it and good eq it would be preety good
  6. I've played an SR506 more times that enough to know that the B and E Strings do NOT lack any punch whatsoever. I would definately steer clear of the BTB's if you like the Bart sound. The 1206 is a Prestige model, around the $1K mark and the lower BTB's (40X series) have the Ibanzes DX type pickups, IIRC. So, if you're going to compare the 1206 BTB to the 506 SR, then that's about a $400-$500 difference, keep that in mind.

7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Both low strings seemed quite solid to me.
  8. good to hear tplyons

im deciding between the sr 506 and the btb556
    both around same price have only played the btb no good music shops anywhere close to where i live.
  9. bad_andy

Sep 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    I almost walked out of the store with a SR1006EFMNTF on payments after trying it against my Warwick Streamer I 6 string thru the same amp. I ended up coming to my senses when I read the terms that the music store's lender was using on the financing. But the bass was a very solid piece of gear with a warm/flexible sound and a B string comparable to my Warwick.
  10. +1. I had the same experience with a 4 string Ibby Prestige and a Warwick Corvette. 'Cept I didn't buy anything, and I'd take the Ibby over the Corvette... However, a Streamer is a different story...

11. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Goddamn, i hate ibanez basses.
  12. Why?

Have you tried every different model, or are you just generalising ?
  13. I've had great experiences with Ibanez prestige level gear.

The RKB900 is essentially my signature bass that I hit the road with all the time... I also have a BTB1206E on the way, which is the most remarkable sixer I've ever played, and that says a lot because I really am not fond of playing on ERBs.

The SR series are a little too neck thin for me, and the string spacing makes me a little nervous, but eh.

Ibanez is cool in my bingo book.
  14. I love the ones ive got, and i think it would be dangerous to expose me to the prestige level stuff to be honest, well, dangerous to my band account anyway!

I feel the same way about the SR's, was never too fond of the ones ive played, they didnt feel right and i wasnt a fan of the sound, but ive only played ones from the 400 and 500 series
  15. lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    I'm wanting a atk 1300 so badly!!! Since I love my customised ATK 400

and oh, a fretless P would be nice also
  16. You've GOT to try the prestige level gear!

It's really remarkable :)
  17. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I agree, its impressive.

18. Try to change the battery !
  19. iplay4-5

iplay4-5 Guest

Feb 4, 2004
    rockford, IL
    my 506 is one of the best basses i have ever played for under $660 it has barts n the mk-1 preamp w/ the bubinga/wenge neck to me it'd take this bass over a $3,000 warwick of that sort and as for the short scale it makes no diff at all you could play a 33'' it would feel the same as the 34' n a 35'' to a 34'' dont make a diff at all infact i have a 35'' scale peavey n it got ride of it b/c it didnt play as well as my 34'' scale basses...loss e's and b-s can be fixed soo eazly w/ a good set of steel dr's or any string of that nature, a good set up, and i run mine thru a cheap peavey rig w/ very little EQ and it plys better then some ppl w/ an ampeg pro-4 n the 8x10 it all depends on how well you know what is in your hands n it doesnt take 3months to find the sweetness to this bass it took me all of 6 mins when i 1st got it
  20. I want to, but i couldnt afford it, and nowhere about here has gear like that, seriously, music shops in scotland suck . . .

Maybe when im an Ibanez endorsee or whatever, ive got enough of em so far anyway :)