1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ideas about this scroll type?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by eh_train, Oct 21, 2010.

1. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Owner, Stand Up Guy Basses (Repair/Sell/Buy upright basses)
  2. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    That's a pretty cute old bass. Is it a 5/8 size?

3. eh_train

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Steve,

The seller described it as "more or less" a 3/4. If you look at the 6th picture, the scroll looks quite plain, but in a nice kind of way... Anyone seen this before, and, if so, where did the bass come from?

Cheers,

Paul

4. The "scroll" is only the turned part on the head, the actual turns are called volutes. I assume that you're asking about the tuners. Those are called "hat peg" tuners because they resemble old fashioned hat pegs that were common in old houses at the turn of the century.
    Purely decorative. Some people are convinced they help the sound of the bass because the shafts are wooden too, allowing the neck to vibrate more freely because of the light weight.
    EDIT: After seeing your latest post, I'll go look again because I didn't really see much in the one pic.

5. eh_train

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Ummm, I'm only asking about the scroll, as I'm pretty familiar with hat pegs! Look at the 6th picture, and you'll see that the vertical centre line of the scroll is actually a thin raised line. The line goes right down to the bottom of the scroll, which is unusual. Also, there's very much less material removed on either side of this line. Like I said in the OP, it looks kind of art nouveau (to me, anyway). Anybody notice this???

6. After seeing your last post I did look at pic 6 and don't see anything glaring. A nice old German or Czech shop bass that needs alotta work but all restored could be worth upwards of 7Grand or more the way the market is today. I woulda snatched it maybe.

7. My bad I guess. I was looking at the scroll not the tuning box.
    It's still not really anything that's all that different.
    It may be Tyrolean as well.

8. eh_train

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Paul,

Okay, tuning box. I guess I'm just used to the more rounded German shop-bass style.

It did seem like a good deal, unless maybe the glue liberally applied to the back is Epoxy! You can't really be sure until it arrives at your door...

Cheers,

Paul