1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Identify this Tobias

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TremmelBass, Sep 21, 2008.

1. TremmelBass

TremmelBass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Mississippi
    Is this really a Tobias? Which model has the knobs so close together? Serial number is u0308005. Thanks

29a2_3.

3243_3.

2e5e_3.

2. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    Yeah it's a tobias. that middle knob was added (not original.)

3. TremmelBass

TremmelBass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Mississippi
    It's a Korean made Toby with an added knob, thanks!

4. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    +1 have never seen a real Tobias with the Truss Rod adjustment at the top.

5. I saw a Tobias knock off made in Peru on eBay a while back. It was hard to tell except little stuff like the truss rod adjustment and bridge. This may be it.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The craftsmanship certainly is not characteristic of Mike's work. It's rather cruddy, I'd say.

7. jmoroney

jmoroney

Aug 1, 2008
    i have a pre-gibson tobias 6 string. This one, the maple stringers are wider, the Tobias logo is smaller, the truss rods are on the top instead of the bottom, different pickups and electronics, and the quality is not nearly as good. doesn't look legit.

8. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

+1 That thing looks like firewood to me.
    :bag:

9. jmoroney

jmoroney

Aug 1, 2008
    plus tobias serial numbers never went above 2000-something, mine is 640, where did u0308005 come from?

10. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Per the ebay auction here: http://cgi.ebay.com/TOBIAS-6-STRING...temQQimsxZ20080921?IMSfp=TL080921131001r30187

Simple search in google from the s/n alone.

11. Its definitely a korean made Tobias Toby bass which used to be sold from Musicyo.com - they don't sell them anymore.

I have an identical model except mine is still un modified. As stated in the auction the bridge and pickups have been changed. Also the preamp has probably also been changed - the knob configuration is the giveaway. It comes stock with a diamond layout and a knob has been added between the bottom two standard knobs.

The neck was also most probably defretted as I don't recall there having ever been a fretless model, much less a six string fretless.

It is a suprisingly good bass, except that they have skimped on the electronics. I have been wanting to swap out mine for a while but couldn't find pickups which would fit without routing the pick up slots. Does anyone know what model EMG pickups those may be.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

You can see that whoever owned that was not satisfied with it as well - as he/she has modified it and messed about with it, quite a lot!! :p