1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Identifying my O'Hagan

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheEnthBass, May 9, 2010.

1. TheEnthBass

TheEnthBass

Apr 9, 2010
    Connecticut
    I'm throwing this post up for a couple of reasons. First because I have this bass and I've been trying to learn as much about it as possible. I dont know the model name for one thing. Also because I think it's a beautiful instrument which I've gotten back into playable condition after struggling to remove a stripped truss nut, having a new one fabricated, researching and replacing some pots and fixing some wiring issues.

What I do know (ithink): There are two pick ups towards the neck and a bridge pick up. It's neck through, 24 frets, active w/ preamp, coil tapping push pull knob, fully adjustable bridge, brass nut. I know it's an 81 O'hagan with what was their top of the line custom options.

What I would like to know: Ever seen one? Model name? Any knowledge of O'hagan basses, or generally what you think of the guitar.

I love this thing, it was a hand down from my father and it is one of the most playable versatile basses I've ever picked up. Puts my Warwicks to shame at any rate. Really just wanted to share it with anyone who is interested in checking it out. Pics below, sorry all i've got is the camera on my blackberry which is somewhat awful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    It's a Nightwatch Special Bass. The pickups look like DiMarzio's, which O'Hagan used in 1981. He used Schaller pickups in '82-83, and the company only existed from '79-'83.

3. TheEnthBass

TheEnthBass

Apr 9, 2010
    Connecticut
    I was wondering about the pick ups. The rods passing through the center of the pick up are adjustable in addition to the height of the pick up its self. Anyone know the purpose and principals behind adjusting those rods depth or height?

4. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Hard to tell for sure, but I'd say those are Schallers. The split-coil would be a PBX, and the bridge pickup is just called a "Bass Humbucker".

The idea is that you can adjust the pickup's response individually for each string, fine-tuning the balance.

5. TheEnthBass

TheEnthBass

Apr 9, 2010
    Connecticut
    Thanks to both of you. I took another look at the serial # and while my memory said 81 the serial code starts with A2 which I think means april 82. All together it says. A21018 I have read that the letter might be the month, the first # is the year. Anyone know with any certainty? 82 would explain the Schallers.

6. Soprano_80

Soprano_80

Jul 30, 2012
    I have a nightwatch special bass also. Mine has the gold trim with the darker wood inlay. It has been in my family since about 1990. I recently took in in to have it re-strung and tuned, but it has one switch that is a little faulty and the tech couldn't find a replacement for it. I heard a rumor that there was a guitar shop that bought all of their guitars and parts back in the day when they went out of business. Here is a couple things I do know about them. They only produced about 3,000 guitars total. They are one of the last major american guitar makers, and the nightwatch special was the top of the line for them. The retail price back in the early 80's was around $600-$700. I am thinking of trying to locate this replacement switch for it.... not sure where to begin...

7. Hi.

A pic woud be a good start if You ask me ;).

Most low current switches can also be repaired. Hellishly expensive obviously, but if there's a zero possibility of finding one, sometimes it's the only option.

Regards
    Sam