1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

identifying upright bass from pics

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by beginagain, Mar 23, 2013.

1. beginagain

beginagain

Mar 23, 2013
    Hi,
    im wondering how much info i could get from about the bass in the pics i have attatched. Im looking at buying my first double bass and live a long way away and wanted to get as much information as i could before i decide to go see.

Im told its three quater size, plywood and built in germany.
    Anything anyone can tell me.
    Thx

Attached Files:

2. beginagain

beginagain

Mar 23, 2013
    And the last pic.Thx

Attached Files:

3. Hi.

Welcome to TalkBass beginagain.

When trying to identify a DB from pics, IMLE the details are usually more important than the overal shape.

The F-holes, purfling, neck joint and the box with details on the scroll and tuners are a good place to start.
    Assuming obviously that the label has been lost and there's no pencil markings on the inside of the body.

Hosting the pics on a dedicated website (I use Photobucket for no other particular reason than the fact that it seems to work) will allow You to post bigger, more detailed pics.

Regards
    Sam

4. beginagain

beginagain

Mar 23, 2013
    Thx sam,
    ill ask the seller to send some more detailed pics to me of
    various areas and ill post when i get them.
    A

5. Hi.

No problem.

Just a few pointers though from my rather limited experience though since there's once again a bit of lack of participation (threads like Yours are very common, like once-twice a week ;)).

Identifying an instrument by just looking at pics is possible, but that obviously still doesn't tell a squat about the shape it's in.
    Would it be possible for You to take someone knowledgeable along when searching your bass? That would ease things considerably in the long run.

I'm a DIYholic BSO (Bass Shaped Object) kinda fellow so the shape they're in doesn't bother me at the slightest as long as the price is right.
    Your post doesn't obviously reveal your level of expertise in working on DBs, so I make the possibly incorrect assumption that you have to outsource any and all luthiery related issues?
    If that's the case, a perfectly fine sounding and looking instrument to You, may well end up to be a sinkhole for Your hard-earned.

That said, have You gone through these threads?
    http://www.talkbass.com/wiki/index.php/Beginner's_Guide_to_buying_a_Double_Bass
    That has become the standard reply for buyers of their first DBs, and for a very good reason, those threads are a wealth of information. Not to mention real money-savers if You read 'em right ;).

Good luck, and welcome to the wonderful world of DB.

Regards
    Sam

6. beginagain

beginagain

Mar 23, 2013
    Thx Sam,
    i plan on taking a friend along who can help me out, i also have a good eye when it come to instruments although im very new to upright bass. I have helped set up friends basses so im not green
    but what i dont know might fill an ocean.

The seller is well known to me and some friends and has a good rep.

Thx Sam
    Andy