1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

'If only it had a maple board, id be all over it'

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Jan 21, 2012.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    Ive seen this quote pretty often in the classifieds. Anybody knows whats with the maple fetish?

I have to admit even I fall pray to this maple-superior syndrome even though the best basses I have played all have rosewood fretboards.

Is because maple is more 'rare'? It really beats me.

I understand that each individual will have his own preference, but honestly when was the last time you heard someone say 'If only it had a rosewood fretboard'

2. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Aesthetics for me. I just like the look of maple on most basses.

3. Some peeps like the maple. But besides that you see all kinds of "If only it had 'x', I'd be all over it!" responses in the classifieds that probably aren't the least bit serious. Consider them goodwill bumps from folks who know they won't be buying :p.

4. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Preference...that's all.

5. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Same.

6. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Whatever looks cool on the bass. I like all woods.

7. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Sure, but he just wants to know why they prefer it.

8. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

May 14, 2008
    Fairfax, VA
    Same here.....it's been a deal breaker for me before, several times. :crying:

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I like maple but really it's more that I hate rosewood. I don't like how it ages with small cracks, how it collects gunk and how it feels under my fingers especially on the sides of the neck.
    I'm also somewhat of a snob and find rosewood so common and boring.
    I think I prefer maple and ebony tonewise, for they offer a tighter tone with better definition than rosewood. I may be listening with my eyes though.

10. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I can dig it, but isn't it like asking why someone prefers a blonde over a brunette? A skinny girl over a more Rubenesque girl? Chocolate over Vanilla??

In all seriousness, I think it's important for people to have at least one of each, rosewood and maple...there is nothing you can't handle with either!

11. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    More than likely you are. :D

I've actually never owned a bass with a maple fretboard even though I prefer the aesthetics.

12. JimWasHere

JimWasHere

Sep 8, 2010
    Portland, OR
    It's claimed that maple is a bit brighter... I agree, but it's subjective. I also for some reason just think that a maple board on a bolt neck is prettier.

Link to a quick writeup on some different woods.
    Sadowsky Guitars | Roger Talks Fingerboards

13. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I'd go with this.

14. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    For me, it's strictly aesthetics. And my preference is not always for maple. Certain basses/color schemes I much prefer rosewood.

For example, on a sunburst bass, I much prefer rosewood. Strictly personal preference, as many prefer maple on a burst. In my opinion, certain colors look better with one or the other . I have a Blizzard Pearl/rosewood Jazz that sounds great. But aesthetically, I think it would look much better with a maple board. Conversely, I have a Honey Blonde Classic '50s P that I think looks killer with the maple board.

So maybe some of the guys who say that ("If it had a maple board, I'd be all over it!") feel the same way I do. Maybe they mean that on that particular colored bass, maple would look better. Sonically, I don't feel it makes much difference.

15. adivin

adivin Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Opposite for me.

16. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Huh, really? I heard the opposite. But not from someone as reputable as Roger himself.

17. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

I have had rosewood and also maple necked Stingrays, Sadowskys, Fender Jazz and Precisions.

IME, there is not much of a difference between the 2 sound wise. Maple may be a tiny bit brighter, but after A/Bing a few basses with different boards, I now don't consider them much different anymore.

18. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    Rosewood for me, sounds smoother in my opinion!

19. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    It's just a preference. It's no different than the same comment about 5 strings, rosewood boards, or any number of other things.

20. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Exactly.

I don't have even one bass or guitar with one, but I have always preferred the looks of them.