1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If you could design a bass bridge...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Cap'n Redbeard, Jan 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ...which features would be important to you? Which materials would you use? If you knew someone with a machine shop who could produce a prototype, would you be interested in being a guinea pig?

2. Shizzle Gits

Shizzle Gits Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Quick string release. Ability to loosen the strings and un-twist them easily. Intonation adjustment fine enough to make intonating a low-B string less of a pain in the behind. Extra intonation range on the G and D strings. A big unplated section on the bottom for a good ground contact.

wagdog, nolezmaj and bholder like this.
  3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    thumbnail.

Willicious, nbsipics, AGH and 6 others like this.
  4. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Little wooden flat areas like on the Dominic DiPiazza bridge so you can get fretless mwah on a fretted bass.

Except... they are raised or tilted into position with a flick of a lever. Also piezo elements installed as an option.

Stefan Verbeeck likes this.
  5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Actually, I've kind of been doing that, trying to come up with a bridge solution for my Ric 4003s/8 (8 strings) that actually can be intonated properly. I think I can handle the design aspect, what I don't have access to (or skills for) is a good machine shop to build it.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  6. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Now that's an interesting idea, sounds more useful than a flip up mute.

7. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    You beat me to it. The threaded rod saddles allowing for side to side adjustment was brilliant.

8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I've always been happy with standard bent steel bridges and adjustable spacing is the only thing missing from the standard standard ones. So these are all I'd ever need on a bass.

ahc and sissy kathy like this.
  9. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Although on the American Standard and the new pros there are (I think) 3 grooves in each saddle allowing some adjustment. They can't tell me that wasn't inspired by the 50's style bridge.

10. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Oooooh! Could you pm me contact info?

11. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Thanks, registered there, but they apparently have a manual approval process. Last update was last March with an unanswered question whether any were still available, so it's not looking good, but worth a shot. Otherwise, I have a 12 string bridge that I'll use (just using 2 out of every 3 saddles).

12. Which methods of string spacing do you guys prefer?

13. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Yup thanks, didn't take as long as I feared. Now waiting impatiently for an answer (that may not be forthcoming). tap tap tap tap...... :)

14. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    If I had any metalwork skills or tools, I'd design a drop-in replacement for the funky "floating" bridge saddle assembly used on Ric basses, with individual string height adjustment and accessible intonation screws. The Hipshot is a good alternative, but changes the look too much for purists. Unfortunately, any company producing a commercial version of such a bridge would probably be sued by JH (The Great Lidless Eye).

Having the option to adjust string spacing a little would be nice, and the lockdown function on my G&L bridge is good too.

bholder likes this.
  15. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    OP, sign me up as a willing guinea pig - are you saying you have the machine shop?

16. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    The Hipshot also covers the mute compartment, which I don't like, because I hope to use the Bartolini mute compartment pickup (to get even more "jangle" out of my 4003s/8). I guess I could ask a machine shop to mill the additional hole, but I'm still stuck with the 8 string intonation requirement. I do love the Hipshot otherwise, and hope to get one with piezos for my fretless 4003. (I think even wishing for piezos for the 8 string is probably nuts.)

17. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    BB-0318-010-web.

Stefan Verbeeck likes this.
  18. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Oh my!

19. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    2017-01-03-13-42-15-294513717. I cant believe there isn't a Gotoh 203 for a 5 string. Simple, elegant, Fender bent plate form factor, and wouldn't cost a hundred bucks.

Steel or brass, stainless hardware.. not made in an anonymous Chinese factory... I'd bet TBers would be all over using bridges made by a fellow TBer.

20. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Drop in replacement for standard bridges would be ideal. Also, I think a great idea would be to figure out a system, if you were machining them, to have an included kit for mounting the bridge using stainless threaded inserts and machine screws. Over-engineered? Yep. But that's good. Original idea that would make a product unique? Yep, probably.