Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If you could only have one bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Dec 17, 2004.

Choose your only bass in the whole world.

Poll closed Jan 16, 2005.
  1. American Jazz

97 vote(s)
    30.5%
  2. American P-J

24 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. Bongo

22 vote(s)
    6.9%
  4. Sterling

13 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Stingray

51 vote(s)
    16.0%
  6. Spector Czech model

23 vote(s)
    7.2%
  7. Peavey Cirrus

27 vote(s)
    8.5%
  8. Gibson Thunderbird

5 vote(s)
    1.6%
  9. Rickenbacker 4003

28 vote(s)
    8.8%
  10. G&L L2000

28 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    ....and you can only afford one of these mainstream ones, what would it be? Please choose from the list.

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    While polls like this are done to death, at least you incorporated a fairly wide range of tones/styles. I would have to go with the SPector Czech, since that is my main axe. The Ric 4003 would be tempting though.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    From this list, since if I was gonna have 1 bass,,, I'd need a 5'er.... It'd be an SR5.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I agree, if I can only have one bass, it would have to be a five. Either the Stingray or L-2500 would be great.

5. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    A five string euro spector.

6. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    As far as I know, all but one of those basses listed can be had in 5 version, and some in a 6. I obviously play a 5...

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Like the others, I gotta have a fiver. I'll take the Fender Precision 5, because it has the string spacing I prefer.

8. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    L-2500

IMHO the most versitle bass ever known. If I could have only one I would choose for versatility. As I get older I don't want to grow out of the sound that I currently use. I could never grow tired of the 2500, I would just flip a couple of switches and turn a couple of knobs and wha-lha.................I got a new sound.

danman

9. I voted for my current favorite, a Peavey Cirrus. :cool:

...but to be without a Stingray? :bawl:

Mike

10. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I will go with the Rick because a five is not necessary for everything...I have one but I don't use it much and it is an SR5

11. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Gotta go for the Ric......I didn't even know there were other brands of basses :p

12. There are other brands of basses besides Ric? Ur Cwazy! :D

13. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I chose the Peavey Cirrus. I've owned several Fenders in my life-time and am sick of the Fender tone. I chose the Cirrus due to its Hi-Fi tone and versatility.

14. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i voted American Jazz { i'm assuming you mean Fender , i love the tone } ,
    but the Bongo or the L2000 would be very nice ... :bassist:

15. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm with Lug on this-- the L2K is by far, the most versitile bass I have ever owned.

16. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    When this poll has been posed in the past, I haven't responded because the question in just too, well, evil. I mean, only ONE?

With the whining out of the way, I'd say American jazz, for versatility of tone and for comfort. I might say G&L, but I've not had the pleasure of meeting one. With the more modern or hifi basses. I'd be worried about being stuck unable to cover some important tones that I'd need in classic rock and jazz. But, I might be wrong.

17. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  18. Before I noticed that this was a poll and I saw your reply, I about fell out of my seat. haha :D

19. Hmmm, versatile bass has been brought up often. Personally i dont believe there is such a thing as a versatile bass...only versatile players. :meh:

20. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Who said anything about versatility?

Just pick the one you couldn't live without.

:D