Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If you had $1k...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by KrazzyJoe, Jun 10, 2005.

1. KrazzyJoe

KrazzyJoe

Jul 31, 2003
    Oregon.
    What kind of a recording setup would you get for $1k give or take? This does not include the cost of a computer if you use one in your setup, or instruments (obviously) except for maybe a keyboard if it is part of your interface. It includes everything else. This is around what I have (give or take). Keep in mind that I would much prefer puting all pieces of my things together piece by piece myself - or having someone in doing other stuff rather than recording everyone/thing together. Capabilities of recording drums is preffered but not required.

2. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i am happy with my setup.

i use an E-Mu 1820, which by its self can record 8 or 10 tracks i cant remember which. you can add the behringer ada8000 for more tracks.

for software i use sonar 4 PE. if you just get the studio edition, this will all cost you right around a grand.

there a cheaper alternatives though.

3. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    If I had an extra grand lying around? Well its not quite enough to get the computer I want. Though it is enough to get a MOTU Traveler, but not to get good software for it. In all honesty I would probobly buy a new mic or two.

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Used Motu interface and a copy of Logic...actually $1k will just get you logic, you'll have to steal the interface.

5. Here's an idea.

Mac Mini - 1.42GHz 256MB 80GB Ultra ATA hard drive here - use GarageBand with it! $599 Brand new.

Get a monitor and a keyboard off of ebay (or use your old one). $100 max.

PreSonus FireBox here $399. Right now it comes with a free set of Senheiser headphones -- $99 value -- free! Also comes with Steinberg Cubase recording software.

Optional equipment to make it feel like a true DAW! -- MAudio iControl for Garage Band here $149 -- very cool piece.

This gets you a computer, interface and software for right at $1000!!!!!!

6. KrazzyJoe

KrazzyJoe

Jul 31, 2003
    Oregon.
    People, people...listen to directions.

7. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    First you need to tell us what you already have. Second you'll have to tell us what are you trying to achieve from this studio. Are you planning on recording and mixing in your home studio, or just recording then taking it to a bigger studio for a full mix, or just a hobby studio for messing around. With $1000 you'll have to cut some big corners to get even half decent recording studio, so if you can squeeze out another $500 you'll be in better shape.

Essential tools you'll need:

Speakers &
    Hardware/ Software Interface
    Midi Interface
    Microphones
    Mixer
    Cables - Audio & Midi
    Instruments - could be software, but you'll need a keyboard to control it.

Now start working back wards.

1) Are you on PC or Mac.

2) What kind of software you would like to use on daily basis which fits you're needs, but also very comfortable for you to use and not too complex.

3) Only then after you decide on the software you need to buy the appropriate hardware for it.

4) This is a very important, you always have to think about future upgrade path, so think twice before buying anything,

Cheers

8. KrazzyJoe

KrazzyJoe

Jul 31, 2003
    Oregon.
    I’d like to do as much as possible at home. I can squeeze out another 500 and even work a while more for another grand if it would really get me that much better quality and more options.

1. I am on a PC.

2. I havn’t used much software, but I am really good at learning programs. Whatever gives me the most options without being disgustingly complicated.

I am sorry to be so vague, but I really am just beginning. Up until now I’ve just recorded basic parts through my crappy webcam or old computer mic to show to my guitar player when we’re not together.

9. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Then buy a Digi 002 Rack and be done with it. Turn key system, perfect for the novice. Learn Pro Tools and you can operate all the other programs out there too. The interface should be more than enough for you as well.

10. KrazzyJoe

KrazzyJoe

Jul 31, 2003
    Oregon.
    I've actually looked at that. Is the control surface really worth the extra grand, though?

Plus thats 2+ grand with no mics, no monitors...

11. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    I agree nothing beats Pro Tools as far as simplicity. So best bet is go thru few local music stores and ask what software programs they have set up for demo, try out as many as you can, and the last one to demo should be Pro Tools.

So to start off I would go:

- Digi 002 Rack version about $850 don't buy the control surface, waste of money, plus you'll get better sound with mixing in analog the digital.

Or get the older version which is Digi 001 - about $450 US.

- Digi has midi In/Out already so you don't need a separate midi interface.

- Allen & Heath Mixwizard analog mixer they have few versions 12:2, 14:4, 16:2 my favorite is 14:4 because it has 4 busses. These used are about $600 - $800 US on Ebay.

- Now for keyboard there is way too much too choose from, but I would get something wiht good selection of sounds which fits your genre - so put away about $400 a side for that one. Or just buy a cheap $80 keyboard midi controller with no sounds just to use it as controller.

This is most important part where you can't cut any corners at all, which is the speakers & acoustic treatment. Spend the most amount of money on this - which is the essential part of any studio.

You can buy the Allen & Heath mixer and keyboard after you buy the speakers. We also need to know what is the size of the studio, any acoustic treatment in it, how much glass or windows is present .... Then we can suggest appropriate size speakers. Also do you have a small speaker amp at home, or you would prefer to buy active speakers (with build in amps in them).

So to sum up get Digi 002R or 001 & Reason 2.5, I think 002 & Reason come in a bundle some sort, then get some speakers and you can start recording and mixing inside the computer already. After that get a keyboard, and your last investment is an analog mixer with good quality cables.

Cheers

12. KrazzyJoe

KrazzyJoe

Jul 31, 2003
    Oregon.
    Where can I find either for 850 or 450?

13. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Also, the 001 is no longer really supported by Digi, the highest version of PT you can run on it 6.4 and no XP. I would just find an 002R.

14. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    I believe it does work on XP, it's just digi did not test it. For the money I would rather get 001 + RME or Neundo 8 I/O which will give me 8 more I/O with much better quality then 002 converters. That's what I use now and couldn't be happier, but I'm on Mac so it's a different story.

Cheers