Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

im finally checking out mike pope(as i type this)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by narud, Sep 14, 2004.

1. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    ive always heard great things about him but have never really heard him play. well, today my chick corea elektric band dvd came in and to my suprise its mike pope on bass. he fits the group very well. his soloing is very patitucciesque. im only around 10 minutes into it and i already like it much more than when jimmy earl was doing the gigs. i cant wait to see how ric fierabracci does tomorrow night.

anyway, this is also the first time ive gotten to get a good look at mikes fodera. its very interesting. the extra fretboard extention is a cool idea. is there much stuff out there with mike on it other than his solo albums?

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Where did you get the DVD? I'd like to see that myself.

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    ill pm you in a bit.

4. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I'm still kicking myslef. A couple of years ago I went to NYC to see Marcus Miller at the BlueNote and Mike Stern at the 55 Bar. The bass player with Stern turned out to be Mike Pope. Of course they tore the place up. Wish I had known who Mike Pope was at the time.

5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    ok its official, he's pretty killin'. right now theyre doing one of the best versions of got a match ive seen. mike absolutely nails the unsion lines. this is the thing that bummed me out so much about jimmy earl (man, if you do a search on my posts i look like the biggest hater on earl :eek: :D ). he botched got a match when i saw him sub last year and he looked nervous the whole night. mike is stone cold in the vid.

6. Could you let me know where you got this as well? I would love to check it out. Thanks!

7. I read about Mike Pope in Bass Player magazine and have been intrigued by him. He's also keyboard player too (like me). I'd love to check that video out too. Thanks.

8. +3

9. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    theyre sold by a couple of different sellers on ebay. theyre pal though so youll need a multi-region player

10. Thanks. I'll look into getting one. BTW, I'm checking out "Lucky Charms" right now.....smokin'!!!