1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm new here...! ...recording on a pc question

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by inDIGInous, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Hello guys, nice forum here. I am new to recording my bass lines on a pc. One friend tells me I need to buy an external midi unit to jack into and connect to my soundcard. Another friend says I just need to buy a 1/8 adaptor for my bass cable and jack into my soundcard mic input directly ...I cant seem to find a straight answer on the subject and I think the guy at the music store just wants to sell me some expensive hardware. What I really need is to talk to someone who records bass lines into their pc. I've got a nice Ibanez SR810 bass, a nice ampeg combo 210 amp with built in effects, and a new computer system and all I wanna do is record the noise comeing out of my amp into my computer. ...please help!

2. ...nobody wants to lend me advice huh? ...oh well, I'll go elsewhere and hope that someone will help me to understand ...thanks for all the good advice ...I just don't understand why I cant find a straight answer on this subject ...or even a peep from this forum. BTW, I have read through the previous posts looking for an answer, to no avail.

3. Hey inDIGInous, you've only given us a couple of days to respond... Give us a chance matey!

There's another recording newbie thread here:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95531.

It pretty much covers the basics. So that we can collect similar topics in one thread it might be good if you add your experiences on to the end of that thread instead of building on this one. It just keeps all the useful information together in one place.

There have been other threads on soundcards generally and discussions about particular soundcards and software.

Basically: You can either take a cord going straight from your bass to the input in the soundcard (line in) or take a similar cord from an output from your combo to the same input. DON'T try feeding the output from your amp into the mic input on your card - it'll be too loud and distorted. You'll need some kind of audio editing software for recording what you play.

You haven't told us what kind of computer, what kind of soundcard or anything like that so it's hard to be more specific, but if you've got line in or mic inputs on your PC you don't need to rush out and buy any more gear (yet!). There's no need for a MIDI interface - it doesn't deal with audio.

Have a browse through that thread and the resources I've suggested in there and if you still have any questions, give us another shout.

Best of luck!
    Mike

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Does your amp have a line out?

Connect your amp's line out with the line in of your soundcard. In most cases that works, but you can use a stereo pedal (e.g. stereo chorus) to make it dual mono, so that there's a signal on both input channels. Don't use the mic in!

You don't need any midi gear for that. A lot of people think midi = audio on a computer, but that's wrong.

5. thankyou very much for your help, I am on the right track now... I think I know exactly what will work best for my needs.

I have an Ibanez SR810 bass, an Ampeg BA-210SP combo amp, and my soundcard is a Sound Blaster Audigy 2.

If I'm correct a good solution is to buy an XLR cable($30) to go from my amps XLR out to a little box usb unit($150-$200) and from the usb unit connect to my computers USB port and if I have a decent editing software I'll be in business... Does this sound like a workable sollution to you guys?

... Again, thankyou so much for your input, it was most valuable!

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You don't need a USB device when you have a soundcard.

7. JMX, ...if I dont need a USB device because I do have a soundcard, My soundcard has a 1/8 line in and a 1/8 mic port. If I dont need the USB device I'm back where I started. How do I get my sounds from my amp into my computer. ...sheesh, I thought I had this thing figured out. I'm hoping to solve this endless enigma before x-mas.

8. inDIGInous,

If you can find an XLR->mono jack cable and a 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor then you can run your amp straight into the line in of your soundcard. You don't need the external USB interface because your Audigy will do what you need it to - convert the audio to digital format. External USB devices do essentially the same job and then squirt the resulting digital info down the USB cable. What you'd be buying is a $150-$200 interface which, although it takes an XLR cable input, does the same job as your Audigy. Honestly, you don't need anything more complicated than the right cables.

Amp -> XLR output -> XLR cable-mono jack -> 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor -> souncard line-in -> Audio recording software.

I hope this helps clear things up. There are reasons why the Audigy isn't the best soundcard on the planet, but it *definitely will* do everything you are describing. We'll leave discussion of why the Audigy isn't great for another occassion, OK? ;)

9. thanks MKS, I'm going up to the Guitar Center now, to ask them if they have the right cables and adapters... and to ask them why the hell THEY couldn't have told me I needed just a cable and adapter and not the multi hundred dollar unit they are trying to push on me. Youe'd think spending $1500 there in one week would get me a little customer service, guess not. Thanks again for helping me get this straightened out guys, you have been very helpfull! I'll post here after I get going on this, I can't wait!!!!

10. This is so cool, finally I am able to record. I can't tell you how many times I woyld just be plucking away and I would find myself playing a really great bassline, suprising myself that I came up with something that sounded so good (im so modest)... but I would forget the tempo, inflection, and notes by the next morning and it would be a masterpiece lost, never to be played again.
    Now when I reach that state of inspiration or moment of creative luck (whatever you call it)I can actually record it and build on it ...this means more to me than you know, thankyou all for helping me get there ...!!!!!

11. I'm very glad :D

Another satisfied customer... My work here is done. To the Bat-cave, Robin!! ;)