1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm stumped.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HoJ, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Sansamp Para Driver DI

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum Bass

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. LR Baggs Para-Acoustic DI

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. BBE DI-100X

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Countryman Type 85

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Aguilar Tone Hammer

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. HoJ

HoJ

Apr 15, 2009
    Greetings from London. I'm looking for a DI box, and I've been reading a lot of threads here on that subject. As my price range is around $200, my available options seem to be Sansamp Para Driver DI (I guess I'd prefer this over the BDDI because of the mid control), the LR Baggs Para-Acoustic DI, the BBE DI-100X, and the Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum Bass.

Since I have a cheapo rig, I'd prefer a pedal that had some tone-shaping, or EQ, or something. Maybe even something that would make my rig sound better. That's precisely why I didn't consider the Radial boxes. I play a G&L Tribute L2500; primarily in church. With the DI box, I'd go straight to PA, and use my rig as a personal monitor.

Well, do any of you have any experience with any of these units? Any help/recommendations/suggestions you can give is welcome.
    Thanks!

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Add to the list the Aguilar Tone Hammer, MXR M-80, and Sadowsky preamp/DI. And if you want tubes, the DHA-VT1-EQ-Drive. Also, most of the new Markbass pedals have a DI built in too.

Do you want just a pure clean tone with EQ or do you need a bit of dirt/drive thrown in?

3. Knifedge

Knifedge

Jan 24, 2009
    What kind of bass rig are you using? Many of them have a line out of their own, some of them are switchable pre/post equalizer if your system has equalization.

4. HoJ

HoJ

Apr 15, 2009
    It's a cheap local brand, really trashy. It does have a 1/4" out, but it's very noisy. No way I can use that.

@danny: I'd prefer a clean EQ'd tone, maybe a little overdriven…no way I'd use distortion though.

5. dpbass613

dpbass613

Feb 21, 2009
    aguilar tone hammer is a great di/preamp

6. seacouch

seacouch

Apr 21, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The Radial Bassbone will actually give you more options than the ToneHammer. The one unique thing that the TH gives you is the AGS (which really isn't very practical/useful), and from your description it sounds like you wouldn't be using that anyway. I have both units, and my TH sits home collecting dust.

7. HoJ

HoJ

Apr 15, 2009
    I'm afraid the Bassbone's out of my reach. There really isn't any way I can go above $200. :(

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The MXR is a really nice DI with a few extra features, great for the money, too. 3 band eq, distortion with a noise gate, and built like an MXR box, rugged. Try and find one to check out, you may be surprised.

9. HoJ

HoJ

Apr 15, 2009
    Like I said, I don't have a use for the distortion…that leaves the MXR out, I guess.

10. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    what kind of music are you playing?

11. azarias

azarias

Mar 19, 2009
  12. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    RED DI! :bassist:

13. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    how about a good ol' Countrymen. Good for other things besides bass too!

14. HoJ

HoJ

Apr 15, 2009
    I think I should rephrase my question. I'd just like to know, out of these choices, which DI box would you buy if you were in my shoes?

1) Sansamp Para Driver DI
    2) Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum Bass
    3) LR Baggs Para-Acoustic DI
    4) BBE DI-100X
    5) Countryman Type 85
    6) Aguilar Tone Hammer

Thank you!

(I play Praise & Worship music, and jazz)

15. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Personally, I'd go with the Sansamp Para Driver DI when looking for a preamp/DI. It's got a mids control unlike the Bass Driver DI (IIRC #1 complaint about that unit), and works for a number of instruments other than bass (It's a Sansamp RPM rackmount pre in stompbox format). However, were I going for a simplistic DI that's just plug-n-play, the Countryman is definitely top of the list and has been an industry standard for a very very long time. Really it depends on if you need tone shaping capabilities or not.

16. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    *EDIT* Should have read first, you don't want the distortion! But having said that, the EQ and the DI are very, very good anyway. *EDIT*

MXR M-80? I think it would do everything that you have described above, and a lot more. With mine I send two different signals, I use it to shape my direct signal and my effected, plus it also has a fairly nice distortion (on lower gains) which is independently switchable.

It's also well within your price range.

17. Pitbull Growl

Pitbull Growl

Jan 6, 2009
    NNJ/NYC
    Countryman IS a nice DI... but you said you want "some tone-shaping, EQ, or... something" so that crosses the Type 85 the list.

If it were me, I'd prolly go w/the Tone Hammer based on that list.

I have a Carl Martin, and while I do LOVE the tone(s) I can get out of it, and it is dead quiet, I really do wish it could run on batteries or phantom power like the Tone Hammer does.

HTH