1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Imagine Esperanza Spalding x Thundercat?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mr_O'B, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    If Esperanza Spalding and Thundercat were to perform on the same stage
    it would be epic! The world is not ready for that level of futuristic talent.

Esperanza Spaulding

Thundercat

2. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    It could happen. One of my favorite drummers - Justin Brown - has toured with both Stephen (Thundercat) and Esperanza within the last two years. That's Justin playing in the Thundercat video above. I first played with Justin when he was only about 13 or 14 years old - and he was already a monster! Great young talent. Justin says both artists are great to work with. Given the connection, maybe there is a chance for a tour in the future with Justin supporting both artists on drums?

3. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    That's extremely nice to know! Both musicians have special talent!
    If it happens, I will be in attendance!

I'll have to check out your friend Justin Brown. :laugh:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  4. funkytoe

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Please do check him out. Justin has developed into one of the finest drummers around imho. He also has his own group (NYEUSI) and tours with Gerald Clayton, Ambrose Akinsmusire and Tim Lefebvre on occasion too.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    Mr_O'B likes this.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Esperanza and Thundercat would definitely be a new spin on those bass virtuoso tours like SMV or the Berlin, Hamm, Sheehan tours of a few years ago.

RickC, funkytoe and Mr_O'B like this.
  6. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    I agree! As a fan of music, I love what they bring to the table.
    They have carved out a very special niche in the musuc world.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    lowdownthump likes this.
  7. ERicks

ERicks

Feb 22, 2014
    funkytoe's list of people he played with before they were a big deal is second to none. I still search your posts to read the Cliff Burton stories.

8. funkytoe

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    I sometimes think I was destined to have all of these "Forrest Gump" moments. My life path seems to keep connecting me with great bassists and musicians - starting with Larry Graham when I was still in grade school. I never played with Larry directly, but I did perform with his son Derek on drums and Larry was there to watch and critique. I did not know at that time that I would grow up to respect him as I do today. I cannot imagine what someone would pay for a private lesson with Larry Graham! From Larry to meeting and getting bass tips from Cliff Burton while he was still in high school to meeting and playing with whole bunch of famous musicians in L.A. in the late 1980's and early 1990's before their success would put them on the covers of Spin, Kerrang or Rolling Stone. Funny thing is, I am a journeyman bassist at best. I never had the chops or the dedication to be a top tier pro. But, for whatever, reasons, I have been really blessed to play and know some truly great artists in my life.

Sorry to derail the thread. As for Justin Brown, he is going to be a force to be reckoned with in the years to come. As I said above, both Esperanza and Thundercat chose him to keep the beat for them on recent tours, and he is still in his early 30's. I see lots of gold and platinum in his future.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    ERicks, GregC and Dr. Cheese like this.
  9. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    You didn't derail the thread! I checked out video clips and he is everything that
    you stated. I'm always happy to find out about great musicians! :laugh::thumbsup:

funkytoe likes this.
  10. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

At last year's North Sea Jazz Festival in Rotterdam, I saw both the Thundercat and Esperanza gigs. I LOVED Esperanza, Thundercat, mmmmm, not so much...but that's the great thing about music, nobody's opinion counts but your own.

funkytoe and Mr_O'B like this.
  11. ERicks

ERicks

Feb 22, 2014
    You should start a blog or something about this stuff, like the ümlaut blog that Brian Lew has about the early thrash days, I think it would be super interesting!