1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

impedance question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ariwax, Oct 21, 2006.

1. ariwax

ariwax Insonating the acoustic window

Apr 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Hello,

I am considering swapping out the pickups in my Kelly custom p/j. I am new to modding, and here's a quick question:

I am thinking of dropping a Kent Armstrong lipstick in the bridge and a Duncan 1/4 lb.er in the neck. They have different impedances, 10k and 12.5k respectively, according to the stuff I found online. Are these pickups electrically compatible? Will this discrepancy in impedance make a difference in the sound?

best,
    ariwax

2. The pickups will work together but you're likely to end up with a neck pickup that is much louder than your bridge pickup when both are turned all the way up. Not that this is a big problem. If you have J-bass style controls this should not matter too much at all. Just turn the neck down a bit.

3. ariwax

ariwax Insonating the acoustic window

Apr 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Great! Thanks for the info.

ariwax

4. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    You can also adjust the distances between the pickups and strings to even out the volume a bit.