1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Importance of Your Rig

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by poppinsmac, Apr 19, 2010.

1. poppinsmac

poppinsmac

Aug 10, 2007
    Hey Justin,

A few questions about how your sound works when you are on a large tour.

My main question is when you are doing something like an arena tour, how much does your rig really matter, and how much does your sound depend on your front of house guy?

My second question is when you need an EQ change from song to song, is that actually done on your amp or just at front of house? Does your rig stay with the same settings the entire way though the show?

I may go on tour later this year, and it will literally be a jump from playing pubs where vocals are through the PA, and everything else is off the stage to playing concert hall type shows.
    I've never played to a room bigger then 200 people, and I really don't know what to expect. I've always dreamed that if I got a great touring gig I'd buy a great rig, but does it really matter?

Thanks for the read

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Best,
    JMJ

3. poppinsmac

poppinsmac

Aug 10, 2007
    Great, thanks for the help.

I do need a new rig eventually, but I think I'll buy it near the end of the tour as a present to myself, rather then taking out a loan to get it before we start.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    good idea. your markbass rig should be just fine. the less you spend on gear, the more money you keep.

then again, we all succumb to gas occasionally ;)

5. poppinsmac

poppinsmac

Aug 10, 2007
    My Markbass is actually gone... blew up on me.
    I'm currently using a Sansamp RBI into an old Peavey power amp.
    It's not bad, but the power amp gives me **** and needs to replaced, or I need to sink some money into fixing it. It was the kind of thing that if I was going to put any money into it at all, I would just buy a new head because I'm not in love with the sound of it any way, but if it doesn't make too huge of a difference I think I'll just spend the wee bit of cash to fix it and buy myself a new amp when the cheques start rolling in.