1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Importing a Japanese Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuzyCreamcheese, Mar 10, 2008.

1. SuzyCreamcheese

SuzyCreamcheese

Jan 22, 2008
    Brussels
    Good day all,

A friend of mine is visiting Tokyo in about a month. And I wondered if he can import a Japanese Fender for me.
    Do I need to order in advance?
    What amount of VAT will I need to pay for Belgium (VAT in Belgium is 21%).
    How does he bring it back as carry on luggage?(And if so should I get a gigbag or a case?)
    And where are the good musicstores in Tokyo (By good I mean service good not price good (although that would ba nice aswell) becaus my friend is a complete guitar/bass virgin)?

2. Tell your friend to go to Ochanamizu. As soon as he gets out of the station, he'll see music stores on top of one another for blocks! All of them have good service (it's Japan) but he'd better be able to speak Japanese or it'll be tough.

3. Btone

Btone

May 5, 2001
    Why pay anything? You don't pay VAT on things you bring home from a trip abroad, do you? I don't, anyway. Maybe I should..? :ninja:

Buy a hard case for the bass in Japan, and ask your friend to ship it as checked baggage, as any other suitcase. Worked for me, I brought with me two basses from the US last summer.

Good luck on your purchase, lucky guy!

4. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    ask your friend bring your bass as personal belonging, it should be fine, just take the tags and plastic off if it is new