1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

improvements for Ampeg BA110

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pxco, Apr 20, 2015.

1. pxco

pxco

Apr 20, 2015
    Hello all,

After reading all pages in thread Ampeg BA-108 Coffeeshop Micro Rig | TalkBass.com I would like to make a compilation of derived improvements for the BA110 (little beast).

1- speakers: S2010 is actually a significant improvement. Alpha 10 is not worth it.
    2- OpAmps: Put a socket on the pcb and test: TL072, BurrBrowns OPA2132, AD823 and more
    3- make it quieter. My amp gives noise even when the volume is zero and without connecting any bass. Perhaps this is solved by moving the rectifier outside the pcb and adding parallel capacitators. I don't know...
    4- glue all the seams.
    5- add a retractable handle on the bottom to make it tilt
    6- eliminate pop when you turn off the amp (power off)

I have some doubts about the issues 3 and 6. Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks!!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Gluing all the seams isn't necessary unless you're getting a rattle, and if you're getting a rattle, you'll want to check if the padding they use to line the cab is loose and flapping first. But I followed that thread with interest, and I just came to the conclusion that it's a sub-$200 amp and always will be no matter what you do to it, so I never bothered to do any experimenting. Good for less than $200, but you're always going to have limitations with cheaper designs no matter what you do.