1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Impulsive buys!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by falconspatriots, Aug 28, 2012.

1. falconspatriots

falconspatriots Oh Word

May 3, 2011
    connecticut
    Are two bit crushers on one board overkill? I just got a IE frantabit and I'm loving it. Well....I got a lil drunk tonight(Darn Dogfish Head!!!) and ended up ordering a WMD geiger counter because I've always wanted one. I literally fell asleep for a hour, woke up and instantly went to go buy the WMD...talk about an implusive buy.

Are these two pedals different enough to justify having them on one board? This happens alot actually lol...usually I don't have a similar pedal though.

This every happen to you guys lol?

2. dharmashawn

dharmashawn Owner, Handlebar Moustache Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    Which Dogfish? They make the greatest beers ever!! EVER!!!!

3. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I love their 2XIPA :D

4. dharmashawn

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    for me the 60 and 90min are great all around, but when I want something special: Palo Santo is it!!!

5. dharmashawn

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    Widmer Nelson is nice - end derail

6. I just hopped over to the Dogfish Head site and was blown away - just scrolling down the page - there must be over 100 different beers and ales and whatnot.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ back to (main) topic ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Beer has been around for thousands of years, at first in crude form that slowly evolved over the centuries. A caveman would probably recognize some of our unfiltered and un-processed modern ales and lambics, but would be absolutely stunned at a light filtered processed canned or bottled lager or ....

-----------------sorry-------------------:meh:

I DID do an impulse buy.

Boss ME-20B.

I thought I would just skip to the head of the class with a do everything machine. No research, just recognized the Boss name and blew $200 on what I consider to be absolute rubbish.

Difficult to use, impossible to understand until you put in a good hour or two of figuring the stupid thing out.

Lousy sound. Lousy compresser, lousy overdrive, lousy distortion, lousy delay, lousy reverb, lousy ... you get the picture.

I would put it up for sale on the Want to sell effects, but I would feel like a crook taking money for that piece of junk.

Now I do research, look at a ton of videos, think about it for a while, and then find a good deal from a reputable source.

Oh, and after swearing I would never buy a delay pedal ever again, I just picked one up. But, this is one I have known about and wanted for a while but the deals were just not that great - MXR-169 Carbon Copy. Got a deal that I could not say "no" to and I could not be happier. (so, that was a SEMI-impulse buy).

Now, If you have researched the hell out of that thing and wanted it for some time - your act is totally rational.

If you woke up out of that slumber knowing little or nothing about that pedal and just went and bought it - that is fun to do but ill advised !!!

Good luck with your new rig!

now, I think Dogfish Head had a store locater on that site.......:bag:

7. Ya I've gotten seriously drunk off the 90 not realizing how stout it was!

Back on topic- 2 Bitcrushers? Dudeski what were u thinkin? Oh right the Dogfish Head... Im having a hard time justifying one Bitcrusher at the moment. What are you loving about it?

I'm having a hard time getting the Frantabit to play nicely with my other pedals. But quite frankly the more difficult problem is justifying keeping it for like the one usable sound I've been able to find so far amid tons of knob tweaking. I thought it was going to be more flexible and didn't realize how hard it would be to dial in.

What sounds are you digging that you think it will benefit from a second Bitcrusher? I'm just curious how your using it. My tone has been thoroughly destroyed, errr crushed by the Frantabit IMHO. I Can't imagine having a Geiger Counter too lol!

Maybe mines broken or I just need to drink more beer! Your the second or third person that's told me they enjoyed the pedal more while drunk!

8. Oh right, just found my thread about the Frantabit that you responded in and put down a setting to try that you liked! Thanks mate I'm go try this out right now.

One other thing. Does the Frantabit respond radically differently at gigging volumes? So far I've only been able to use it with my rig on 1 due to my current living situation.

9. falconspatriots

falconspatriots Oh Word

May 3, 2011
    connecticut
    Lol it was the Burton Baton oak aged IPA...10% alcohol!!!

As far as research goes I do that like it's my job. This site makes it so easy I have no excuse not to.

I've been wanting either the frantabit or geiger counter for a while now. Couldn't decided which one until a trade came up for the frantabit.

Lol back to last night... So I guess I drank a lil too much(doing my NFL fantasy draft so I want a brew). Right around 3am I remember wanting to buy a tuner for my mini board I'm starting. I started to fill out the page and almost bought it. I must have fallen asleep right around then. I woke up around 5am with the weirdest urge...The geiger counter came straight into my head and before I was even fully aware of what I was doing it was already bought lol.

Now that I've had a few hours more sleep I think this could be a good thing!! The geiger counter can get some ridiculous distortion sounds. My only real issue is what to kick off the board!!! It's either the OC-2 or the bass chiwahwah.

10. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness... Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    New York NY
    Well, the OC-2 into the Geiger Counter is pretty destructive. The cool the thing about the GC is that there are so many sounds you can get out of it. The bad thing is that you need to do some knob twiddlin' to get your favorite settings back. I have three sounds I've settled on since they are easy to dial up (meaning, their respective wave tables are close together), but I can come up with tons more, just not on the fly....:bawl:

11. LOCOPELAND

LOCOPELAND

Aug 3, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    mmmm oak aged IPA

12. falconspatriots

falconspatriots Oh Word

May 3, 2011
    connecticut
    +33 Best beer ever. I've been lovin my lagunitas lately though.

I think that was my thinking behind having 2 bit crushers. Neither the frantabit or the geiger counter have presets.

I've made it a mission of mine to try and make some stange noises.

13. falconspatriots

falconspatriots Oh Word

May 3, 2011
    connecticut
    Just got the WMD in today and all I have to say is WOOOOWWWW. This is definietly finding a place on the main board. I see myself using the Geiger Counter as more of a distortion then a bit crusher and the frantabit as a traditional bit crusher(if there is such a thing lol)

I think my drunken intuition might have been right this time. I guess I had a drunken epiphany. :cool:

14. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    you can get the geiger counter bass modded by wmd, i use it to drive my dr q envelope filter, to sing through, and for that jesus and mary chain synth bass sound on automatic

i like it a lot, but as has been mentioned earlier it does break my heart sometimes when i can't return to a setting due to memory lapse

15. falconspatriots

falconspatriots Oh Word

May 3, 2011
    connecticut
    I got it already Modded from prymaxe. On that note, Prymaxe is a GREAT site. I've ordered a bunch of pedals from them over the past few months. Great service and fast shipping!! Ph and they ALWAYS have some type of coupon going on. I love that site lol.

I still have alot of exploring to do with this pedal, I've only gone through 20 wavetables...this can get addicting :help:

16. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    awesome, enjoy