In a BIG bind--need input

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fatdawg, Jan 20, 2005.

1. fatdawg

Sep 7, 2004
    My truck got broken into after a gig last night and they took my basses(two of them) :crying: . I have to play Saturday night and I need to find a quick, CHEAP, neck through five stringer to stand in for my stolen thumb fiver until the insurance check gets here. Not looking for something exact but something with a decent tone that I won't want to get rid of in a month. Anyway, If you have any ideas or know of a good bolt on that will get the job done I would appreciate the knowledge.

Oh, the price can't exceed $700.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Check out a Peavey Grind NTB. Or you could search around for a used Cirrus.
  3. Some people just suck. Maybe you could rent something for the interim? JD
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I really feel for your loss. Does it have to be neck through? There are lots of great five strings between $400-700 if you will take a bolt-on.
  5. fatdawg

Sep 7, 2004
    No, I guess it does not have to be a neck through--but I have grown so accustomed to playing it that I never test drive basses anymore and I don't know what is good. That is why I am asking, It seems that you guys are always in the know and I am not.

6. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    There is a MIM 5 Deluxe PBass w/upgrades in teh classifieds right now.

If I were you I would try my best to get a loaner from someone for the saturday night gig and then if you need one again before the check arrives, pick up a nice bargain on here.

If you absolutely must buy a new bass from a store, I would hit your local GC and see what used stock they have and get something like a stringray or a fender jazz 5 used so if you do want to sell it in a couple of weeks, you dont take a hit on the price (or the hit is mimimal). If you know you are gonna get a check why bother getting something you love, just get something to get you through the gig that you can easily sell and recover your money.

7. fatdawg

Sep 7, 2004
    I guess that is true--all my friends play four string though and I have a couple 4s The problem is that the gig I have Saturday came my way based on my having a 5 string.

Thanks for the input man

8. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Seriously you should be able to pick up a decent used 5 at a GC for under $500...hell if you can get a Used MTD Kingston or Heir 5 you will be laughing (expect around $400) - they are keepers in my book.

I guarantee once you play an MTD Kingston or Heir's neck, your thumb will feel like a baseball bat! :D

All joking aside, given that you have $700, you should have no problem, but:
    1. Buy used - you'll be able to offload your bass easier that way; and
    2. Buy a brand that is easy to resell (Fender, Warwick, EB MM etc)

You could always try going to a GC or a mom and pop and saying you are interested in x bass but you want to test it out at a gig tonight - promise to drop it back the next morning in perfect condition and use it. Some stores will let you do that.
  9. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    G&L Tribute L2500 - $500 - Very decent bass with P Bass Punch and J Bass growl (over simplified ... but close)
  10. BOOM_chucker

BOOM_chucker Guest

Jan 6, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Man - people suck. :meh:

Why not rent one for a month from a guitar shop somewhere around town? That's what I'm doing right now while I debate which bass to buy. I'm renting a $2200 bass - cost me $150 for the month. (Money I'll never get back, true, but I like to try before I buy. In your situation, you could always try to find the exact same 5 string bass you used to own and play it at your gig. Then spend the insurance money on the replacement you really want.

So - a couple hundred $ on a rental, or
    Up to $700 on something you might not want anyway just to get you through the interim...

something to consider,... my $0.02
  11. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Sorry to hear about your loss. Makes you wonder about people sometimes. Hope you work it out.
  12. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    If your really need a nech-thru, I recommend a Tobias Toby-Pro-5 or Pro-5b custom. You can only get 'em new at, and are under your $700 limit, or you can look on the bay for a used one for even cheaper. Back when I ordered mine (4 years ago), it was at my door the very next day, though I paid a little extra for overnight shipping.
    IMO, they're a great value! Though not the boutique basses that Mike made, but not $3,000 either.

Man, I hate thieves! Good luck on your search!
  13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Sorry to hear about this... I had a pretty serious break in last sept.... What a pain and I just got my insuance check last week!!!

I'm not sure if this was mentioned earlier, put a thread in the Lost and Stolen area of TB. Might help.

As for a cheap 5'er, hit the used market and then once you replace the horses in the stable, pop the other one up for sale, here or the 'Bay.
  14. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Just go to GC and get something to get you by (schecter or whatever). Then return it within the 30 day period and use the insurance money along with the refund money to get something you really want.
  15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I second the G&L L2500 or a Lakland 55-01. Both are hot basses for the money.