in a bind...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funktastic, May 25, 2005.

1. funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    So i finally got enough money to buy myself a new amp. but as i have been looking, i have narrowed myself down to three difficult selections for me. My first is an Ampeg BA-210 Bass Combo, the second is an Eden CXC110 Time Traveler 10 Combo, and the last is an SWR Workingman's 15 Bass Combo. I know its kinda pathetic that im getting a combo amp, but really i have no use for a big rig or anything. I mainly play at small gigs with less than 200 people so i think im fine on the wattage, but i really just was wondering what you all think about those three. If anyone has had any of them, please tell me what you thought of it. Thank you :help:
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i think overall the eden as a 10" combo is too small. a good sounding head unit, but you need more cab

no experience with the ampeg, so i can't comment.

i know quite a few who use the swr wm 15 and as combo amps go i think its a good one. i've had the occasion to use it and it always performed very well. it also has the ability to run an 8 ohm extension cab, so it can be made louder and better suited to slightly bigger gigs if needs be.
  3. I used an option for you? If not, don't read any further. If so, I'd look into a clean SWR Basic Black instead of the WM. It's shy a few watts (I doubt you'll notice) and sounds better (in my opinion). Expect to spend about $400.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The Ampeg is a nice combo, but not very loud. I could see you having some problems in a room of 200 people. You can not add an extension cab to it either. Although that Ampeg sounds great, it may not be loud enough for you.

5. go with the swr, i've had one in the past and it will be plenty loud and you can add an ext. speaker in the future, the eden would not cut it and the ampeg won't either, unless your getting a good deal on a used swr )they are about 649.00 new) i'd go with a head and seperate cab instead, it would give you more options later on down the road...or save up a few more bucks and get a mesa walkabout :)
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I borrowed the Ampeg from a local shop while waiting on my BAM210 to arrive, and it is not a very loud amp. It sounded pretty anemic, compared to the BAM. And didn't handle anything below E well at all.

The Eden is not loud enough for the kind of gigs you describe, and the fact that you can't add an extension speaker pretty much rules it out.

The Workingman's 15 is a solid, fairly loud, if unspectacular combo. It should be loud enough, and you can add an extension cabinet down the road, if necessary.
  7. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Actually, you can add a cab to it. I have one and love it.
    I use the CX110 extension cab with mine all the time.
    I also pull out the head to use with my big cab for, well, bigger gigs.

The head in the combo is the same as the TT330 (now the TT405). It isn't a chasse-less version of it, but the actual head stuffed into the top of the cab so to speak.
    And it's good down to 2 ohms, but I'm not sure if I would run it that low. Never did myself, but Eden says it can do it.

But, in the end it is only a 11 combo, but with the ext cab, it smokes most other 210 combos IMO.
  8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    yorkville yorkville bloody YORKVILLE!!!!!

XM200/XM200T The loudest 200 watts you'll ever hear & feel.

Cheaper than the other options, and a better warranty to boot.
  9. I've only owned the SWR WM15 out of your choices, and I wasn't very impressed with it. It does have power though, and with an extension 210 it is plenty loud enough, but I didn't like the tone much (prefer the ampeg tone personally) and the SWR isn't light for a combo either!

The eden combos I've tried kicked ass!

go with your bass and your ears to the store though and see what you prefer...