IN-EAR

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by jazzbass1967, Mar 1, 2010.

1. jazzbass1967

jazzbass1967 Guest

Feb 20, 2006
    Lexington, KY
    I need some tech advice. Here's what I'm trying to do. I'm hoping you can tell me how to do it.

The band I'm in wants to be able to put together a rack for an in-ear monitor system where everyone has their own mix. Obviously, we'll need a console, everyone will need their own transmitter and a reverb unit would be nice to sweeten it up a little. My question is this: How do we configure this so that we can patch in to a system (in other words; where do we patch in) so that no matter where we play, we have the same mix, night after night?

I realize there's several ways to "patch in" a feed for our ears.
    1. Give everyone the house mix...but that would not give us the same mix from venue to venue obviously
    2. Use jumpers to go from our console to the snake; and put splitters at the snake?
    3. Feed our in-ear console with the pre fader outs on the FOH boards?

As you can see I'm a complete idiot on the tech side. Any advice you could throw my way would be greatly appreciated.

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    your own mixer is the way to do this. you'll want one with as many auxes as bandmembers, so each guy gets his own aux mix. the a&h mixwizard is a favorite for this.

you'll need a "splitter snake", where the mics and other inputs that you want in your in-ears get put into the input ("box") of this snake, one output (xlr "fan") gets sent to your own mixer set-up, and the other gets plugged into the house system's snake input ("stage box").

to really get it consistent, you'll want your own mics too, and at that point you might want to use your own mic cables, clips, and stands, so that the soundguy just has to plug your outputs into his snake and call it done.

put mixer, wireless transmitters and split snake all in the same little rolling rack and you'll make yourselves and the soundguys happy.

3. The mixer that you're describing is probably called a "recording mixer"

PM 50s and PM 351s are the way to do this... figure about $250 per person

4. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    you could buy a "monitor" mixing console and then not need a splitter snake . but if you try to use the monitor board for a f.o.h. board there will be re routing to be done and can be a pain . simple simple is a splitter snake , but have your wallet ready . they are not cheap .

5. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    this is about the least expensive -EXPENSIVE way to go about that

AVIOM where everyone would have their own A16 mixer.. then you need the rack unit too.. works great though

6. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Apr 6, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fishman Transducers, D'Addarrio Strings, Aguilar Amplifiers
    For individual mixes I agree that a true monitor mixer is the best way to go. You won't be able to use it for F.O.H. but you also won't have to fool with a bunch of aux outs, some of which are bound to be pre EQ/fader, which is a drag and a P.I.T.A to operate. It will also be tidier and you won't have to replace or repair a snake.

Here's an example of a good one:
    http://www.heartechnologies.com/mb/mixback.htm

You don't want a bunch of recording mixers cluttering the stage, those are called "recording mixers" for a reason A unit like the one I've linked to gets racked with your transmitters and sits out of the way, but close enough to make adjustments

Like the above poster says, they aren't cheap. But they're not THAT much more than a quality mixer board. It sounds like you're already planning to spend a lot of dough, I think you should do yourself the favor and build the rig right the first time, It will save you some big headaches down the road.

You may be able to find one used, that could save you a lot of money.

7. MY aviom ended up costing about $5k.. it does require an educated sound crew.

REcording or monitor mixer and Rolls boxes are kind of the fool proof budget method to success

8. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    How many in the band?
    To me, Step 1 would be to determine how many mixes we need.

Step 2, what mixer are you using now?
    How many AUX/Mon sends are there, and how many are you already using - not counting monitors?

I don't see any reason why a 3 piece band would need a full blown Aviom system (unless they're piping in a bunch of extra stuff). As the number of players/members increase, that need is more justified.

9. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    I play in a trio , we are IEM very often.

I use this ;
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/828mk3/

You can have 24 inputs and 24 outputs , all with 6 band full parametric and comp on all In out (@44.1) + reverb with help of some external preamp.
    In my trio , I only need 9 mic pre , I use an octopre but there are other cheaper options.
    I brought my computer on the first 10 gigs or so , but once the setup is done and saved , you just recall it.

We are all hard wired to our IEM.
    I use this as the Phone amp;
    http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=H400&cid=61

10. chrisp2u

chrisp2u Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Check out the Presonus StudioLive if you need a somewhat compact mixer that does A LOT (and I mean A LOT) at a *very reasonable* price.

I just sold off a whole rack of used gear and a Mackie ONYX 1640 w/firewire, and broke even. You can find the 16.4.2 online for $1749 shipped (search Google shopping). Guitar Center will match plus tax, if you can't wait (just show them the site with the cheap price). They're coming out with software that allows for a lot of cool things (full recall) Extra bonus, you can record your gigs.

I've had my StudioLive for just over a month and like it very much so far... sounds very, very good, and the effects are nice as well. Has all the features you'll prob ever need (unless oyu need more than 16 channels or 6 auxes, or 4 busses... but they're coming out with a 24-channel version too with 10 auxes). I run it into a Hear Technologies Hearback system (for individual mixes) from the auxes on the board. Wireless systems break out from the individual mixers. Could also skip the Hearback system and go individual mixes right out of the auxes for each person as well.

Haven't had a chance to gig with it yet, but I'm also looking for the best option(s) for instances where I need to split to a house board as well.
    ---
    c

11. jazzbass1967

jazzbass1967 Guest

Feb 20, 2006
    Lexington, KY
    Thanks to everyone for their input. I'm gonna go with a splitter snake and console set up. Thanks again! Very helpful.

12. chrisp2u

chrisp2u Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021