Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Increase volume

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by semborg, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Okay I have yamaha bbt 500h amplifier with 2x10 matching cab.
    The amp can go down to 2 ohms and give 500 watts. (250 watts at 4 ohm).

Right now I can't get much of volume, quite much but not enough.

If I add another 2x10 I will gain:

Double ammount of speaker surface.
    Double ammount of wattage.
    Easy to transport rig.

The thing is, that I am afraid this not will be enough...
    Because I cannot try it. I can't know.
    But 500 watts into 4 10" speakers sounds enough to me.

2# choice:

If I add a 4x10 instead:

Much bigger ammount of speaker surface.
    Double ammount of wattage.
    Not very easy to transport.

Help me and give advice on what to do.
    (What I feel right now is to go with the 1# Choice (2 2x10 cabs)

Thank you!

2. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    Big fan of the 2X12.
    Or look at Schroeder 4x10, very compact.

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    How many ohms in your existing cab? I'm guessing 4 ohms, since you're talking about taking advantage of the amps output at 2 ohms?

Anyway, the safest bet would be to get another cab that matches your existing one. That way, you're getting a known quantity and, if you have problems with one, you've always got the other one spare for quieter gigs.

However, I'd be tempted to get a different sized speaker, which gives you more flexibility - for example, a 1x15" unit.

How far are you from somewhere you can try some different options?

Wulf

4. I live in sweden.
    So I can easily get contact with products like Hartke, Behringer, Yamaha, Gallien krueger and such.

The matching yamaha cabs are 4 ohms 250 watts.

What I feel now is to add another 2x10 cab.
    It's easy to transport. But If you guys think its not enough with 500 watts into 2 2x10 cabs in normal band situations, then I will think of add an 4x10 instead.

I really want 10" cabs.

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    If your main criteria are moving lots of air and using 10" speakers, a 4x10 might be your best option. That gives you three different configurations - 2x10, 4x10 and both (increasing volume at the expense of portability). However, I still think it would be worth you trying a range of options including other speaker sizes.

Anyway, what's a normal band situation? Every band I've played with has been unique ;)

Wulf

6. But I still can get out much volume out of 2 2x10 at 500 watt?

7. Will my volume get doubled?
    Or more than double cuz its double size and double watts.

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You will be loud enough for most situations with 2 210 cabs and 500 watts. But if that's not enough, and you want to stick with 10's, you will have to look into a 410.

9. Right now I think it will be enough.
    If I need more I can sell one 2x10 and buy a 4x10 instead.

I would love to transport 2 2x10s :hyper:
    EASY!

10. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Doubling the wattage and area will not double volume.

Doubling wattage will add 3db (small, but noticable increase). Doubling area will add the same. Combined it will be a significant increase in overall volume, but not double.

To double the volume you need TEN times the wattage, give or take.

11. Hmm, so in that case I will not gain very much volume?!

My brain can't understand that.
    My brain tells me that I am gonna get much more volume with doubled watts AND double area.

I know that watts don't add much volume. But the area must do.

:(

12. oh, I see. Sorry for not reading carefully.

13. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Either step by itself would get you not much of an increase (3db is the smallest increment of SPL increase that a human can notice). Both together would be decent boost.

14. It really depends on how close you are in volume right now. Adding a 2x10 to your existing rig will definately bump up your volume nicely. 500 watts and 4x10's is a very respectable rig.

I think you should go for the 2x10 because you want to keep it compact. I'd be surprised if it isn't enough for you.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you buy new couldn't you return it if you decide you don't like it?

15. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    I don't believe this to be correct. I believe it is closer to 1dB that is the smallest detectable increment for humans - although that depends on many physical factors.

3dB is often used because it's the half/double power point. Double your power output for a 3dB increase.

As for loudness, consider the sensitivity of the cabinet. This accounts for the speaker area as well as many parameters of the driver/cabinet relationship. Getting a cabinet that is 3dB more sensitive over the entire frequency spectrum is theoretically (mathematically) equivalent to doubling the clean power of your amplifier.

As a simple guideline for your consideration, if you have 1 2x10 right now, dissipating 250W of your amplifier's power, you can reach a certain sound level. Adding another 2x10 doubles your power usage due to the impedance change, increasing your output by 3dB. Then there is a 3dB increase due to the coupling of the two cabinets. This all assumes the same cabinet (same sensitivity).

Hopefully that clarifies the points a little bit. The math is available to back it up but isn't necessary.

16. So I will get 6dB boost right?

17. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Excellent post.

18. yes :bassist:

19. Hmm, 6dB boost, is it really worth it?

It doesn't sound very big change on paper (Screen).