info in thomastick spirocore in 5th

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by bigmatteo, Nov 22, 2021.

1. bigmatteo

bigmatteo

Aug 28, 2007
    milano italy
    Hi to all,
    if someone of us use theese strings, can give me the dimension of the red tailpiece end (ball side), because i plan to change with theese, the strings of my bass, in particular with weich type.
    many tanks

Matteo

2. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    I went to 5ths and did not change anything on the tailpiece, the ebony nut nor the bridge.
    I did make sure to use pencil lead (graphite) on the contact points, and that there is zero binding.

It all fit just fine.

bigmatteo likes this.
  3. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    I changed my strings to Red Mitchel Mittels, and I only had to file out the nut on the low string. No adjustments needed on bridge or tailpiece.

bigmatteo likes this.
  4. bigmatteo

bigmatteo

Aug 28, 2007
    milano italy
    Hi to all,
    probably i do a misinterpretation, because i need the dimension of the red tailpiece end (ball side) on theese string, for other things i have clear ideas ,because this will be my secon double bass in fifths.

Apart this misintepretation (of what i think when i wrote) can you give me your opinion about theese string with bow ?

many tanks
    Matteo

5. bigmatteo

bigmatteo

Aug 28, 2007
    milano italy
    Hi to all,
    probably there is a misinterpretation (of what i think when i wrote) i need tho know how many centimeters is long the red tailpiece end (ball side) of theese string.

Apart this your opinion about theese string with the bow ?

Many tanks

Matteo

6. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    It’s about 15cm to the ball.

For arco I like RM C, Dominant G (solo E/F#), Belcanto D, A. I really liked the high A Dominant but it broke after two weeks. I’ve tried many 5ths strings and the Dominant G is a powerhouse with the bow.

Joel Quarrington currently uses RM C light, then the rest Dominants.

Most find the RM 5ths set best for jazz, and go with arco strings for orchestra 5ths.

I am contemplating going to hybrid 5ths over the winter. I find the high A too close to a cello sound in some pieces (like Mendelssohn No.5 I’m playing at this time, with lots of high fast unison cello phrases). I may leave it all alone and bow lighter on the high A. :)

Gary Karr has stated the hybrid 5ths (C,G,D,G) has the best sound for bass, including compared to 4ths tuning.
    It’s an option to consider.

506A98DE-F928-43CB-A01F-269EC29DAED3.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  7. bigmatteo

bigmatteo

Aug 28, 2007
    milano italy
    Hi Casey,
    many tanks for your quick reply, this is the dimension that i need, i don't know of this intrsting statement of Gary Karr, i know that about play bass vs cello !!!

thanks a lot

Matteo

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022