1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Inline In-Ear Monitor?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by cica, Mar 6, 2013.

  1. cica


    Sep 18, 2012

    Is there a device where you can tap off the guitar cord to hear your bass with earbuds and still play through an amp? Would this work in a live situation where you don't want to aim the bass amp at your head but still need to hear yourself?

  2. stichintime


    Oct 11, 2011
    Chester NH
    What kind of amp do you have? Make/Model?
  3. cica


    Sep 18, 2012
    I have the Markbass 121p. I think I could use the DI out, but I was seeing if I could avoid running another wire by piggybacking off the guitar out.

    I was playing last weekend and ran into the problem where the stage was too tight and I didn't tip the amp back for fear of blasting the singer. I have zero live experience, so I didn't realize that I wouldn't be able to hear myself.
  4. Your ear buds have to have amplification. I think what you're envisioning, if possible, would have to be quite jury-rigged. Possibly a headphone amp with some kind of pass-through (if one exists) or running a splitter with one out to a headphone amp and one to your Markbass.

    One consideration is that in order to hear your bass, the buds need to have a good seal in your ears, which, in addition to creating the conditions that allow bass to be reproduced well, also creates isolation. I suppose you might be able to run at a low enough volume that you'd be able to find a "personal mix" level that has you hearing the rest of the band bleeding through the bud tips. In my experience, I think you'd find yourself isolated from various sounds unequally. For example, you might end up mostly hearing cymbals, but not really getting any kick making it to you, or you might not be able to hear your singer very well.
  5. Biggbass


    Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    the RockBox might do it. I use one for IEMs and don't see why it couldn't be used for a feed from the amp. it has a line level pad/switch on it plus a limiter and vol control.
    accepts a 1/4" cable so you'd have to use a converter from the xlr on the DI.
    send an email to the RockBox guy and ask him if it would work for you. He's pretty quick to respond.
  6. Jerry Ziarko

    Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

    Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY

Share This Page