1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Input needed on potential Jazz mods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by giantjerk, Mar 21, 2006.

1. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    I have a Valenti Jazz bass, I got it from the TB classifieds, its the trans red one with maple blocked and bound neck and all black hardware. I like everything about this bass except the neck profile, its a bit thick for my taste. I want to be perfectly clear, this has nothing to do with Nino. In fact the setup and assembly of this bass is nothing less than stellar. I have gigged with this bass several times and I always get compliments about its sound. I'm guessing this is due to the Sadowsky pickups and Sadowsky preamp. This bass flat out thumps and rocks but I feel a bit fumble fingered when I play it due to the neck thickness.

I recently bought a Fender Geddy Lee also from the TB classifieds and the neck profile is alot better, almost too thin.

So do I swap necks? This is going to require redrilling for tuners and one bass is going to end up with holes that show on the back of the headstock and I'm not sure the neck mounting screws are going to line up.

Or do I swap just the Sadowsky pickups and preamp into the Geddy and the stock Geddy pickups into the Valenti? This is going to require drilling a side input jack in the Geddy which I am somewhat hesitant to do mostly because it cannot be undone plus this will leave me with a Valenti with a side input and a lower contol plate input jack which will look stupid.

Or do I have a luthier sand/shave down the Valenti (Warmoth) neck? They only drawback here is that this will obliterate the finish and require a complete refin and the neck has a pretty cool vintage tint to it.

Or do I just chuck both of them and buy a Sadowsky?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Not if you dig the Valenti as much as you say you do. Call Nino before you do anything. He'll help you out best.

-Mike

3. That would be my advice as well. Nino is a great guy and he wants his customers to be happy.

Additionally, as a luthier, he is in a good position to give you good avice.

4. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

If all of the other components of the Valenti suite your tastes, I would take the neck to a QUALIFIED luthier and have it shaved and refinished. I would not swap the parts out and if the bass is what you are looking for tone wise, I would not sell it.

5. +1

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Steve Poon (#015) and Andy Brown (#008) both sent their 5 string necks to Mike Dolan to have their necks shaved down. They are both very happy with Mikes work.

I'm also going to send a neck to him to install block inlays on and I may start using him for blocks on USA Custom necks, which can be odered with a thinner front to back profile than Warmoth.

http://www.dolanguitars.com/

P.S. I miss that bass. :crying: So if you're thinking of "chucking it", give me a call. :)

GunkyMunky7-24-4065a1.