1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

INSANE??!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KingCrimson, Mar 22, 2009.

1. KingCrimson

KingCrimson

Oct 6, 2008
  2. you realize that's a vintage instrument, right?

3. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    If by "a tad" you mean about three thousand bucks, then yes, it's a tad overpriced.

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Looks normal to me.

5. KingCrimson

KingCrimson

Oct 6, 2008
    Really, Ive seen 1970's ricks go for 1500-2000$ but i mean this is just crazy, vintage BS thats like a vintage jazz bass price hell maybe even a bit more.

Damn my favorite bass is the Rick and the prices go higher and higher and higher, by the time i',m able to afford one, i won't be able to afford one.

egh eventually i'll just get a luthier to make me a seemless copy and use Rick electronics, it'll probably be cheaper and play better also.

6. May not get the chance to sell if someone reports it for accepting banned payment methods.

7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    What banned payment methods? All I see is PayPal.

8. Here's the entire description:

1973 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass Guitar with hardshell case.

One owner. Stereo, plays nice. Serial number MF 2701.

Will ship with insurance for actual cost or local pick up.

Used and sold as is. Cash or Bank Check Please.

9. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    That might only apply for local pickup. I definitely wouldn't accept any $5k money orders.

10. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    If that bass is nearly perfect and has almost no wear, I guess I can see it going for that price. Maybe. I mean it would have to be flawless and so would the case and include case candy. You know, stored in a temperature and humidity controlled vault type of thing.

That being said I am ALWAYS leary of small ads with no descriptions and few photos. The seller also has another item for sale, a 40 foot video trailer and has the same "Cash or Bank Check Please" line in it's description. Ya, here's 22 grand in small unmarked bills in a briefcase.......

The seller has 100% feedback too, with 31 transactions in the last year, but all as a buyer.

11. Maybe, but it needs to be worded as such or it runs the risk of eBay shutting it down.

I wouldn't accept PayPal on that either though, since they are so prone to letting the scam buyer send back a box with a brick in it.

12. Checkered binding, toaster pickup, seems about right. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and with those features they'll probably get it. 3 years ago I bought a 1974 4001 for $760. I wish I would have bought more, as they now command at least double that.

13. GregShadoan

GregShadoan

Sep 1, 2008
    Oregon
    I agree it is a tad high. If it had the 73' pre73 full width inlays, and mint, I would say maybe 4K tops. Especially in this market. It is a nice bass, but my guess is somewhere around 2500-2800 max for it.

14. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I wonder how close to a Rick sound this would achieve? Anyone have a non-Rick bass with Rick electronics in it?

15. Yeah and it's not. It's got a big worn patch on the back.(or chunk of wood, it's hard to tell how deep it is) And I agree, it would have to have sat under a bed the whole time and only taken out and dusted off periodically.

16. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    If it were dead mint it could go at $4k
    That bass is nowhere close to that condition
    Also as stated, the text would never convince a real buyer to make that commitment

17. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    You reckon?

It's a great looking bass though! I've always liked the 4001.