1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Instagram: successful career builder?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by dickfitts, Feb 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. dickfitts

dickfitts

Jan 18, 2012
    Just curious what experiences if any people have had building a musical career with IG. Is it worth a) Devoting significant time to; or even b) Subscribing for a business account?

ChrisQuinn91 likes this.
  2. saabfender

saabfender Banned SUSPENDED

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Subscribed. I'd like to broaden the inquiry to include all social media (Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.). Is anyone getting work they wouldn't have otherwise got from them?

dickfitts likes this.
  3. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    There is money to be made but it takes time and work. I have a friend with decent following (10k+) and dosen't get paid for it. But he's building, and I'm sure he's gotten gigs out of it.

dickfitts likes this.
  4. dickfitts

dickfitts

Jan 18, 2012
    Absolutely! Would be super-handy to have a thread discussing the practical uses of social media and a musical career. Thoughts, anyone?

5. The vast majority of my gigs come through Facebook or email. I find that my following on Instagram rivals facebook, although I find it hard to find people on Instagram with all the weird nicknames.

dickfitts likes this.
  6. Your online presence does have to be felt. A website and two social media sites at most would probably be enough to meet that goal, but you’ve got to keep it active. Blog posts, short video clips, fan/subscriber interactions, funny stories, and of course up and coming gigs. But your LIVE AND IN PERSON presence has to be worth all the hassle of hitting the subscribe button! If you’re good live, they will most likely click.

I’ve seen a few of these things work, time and time agin:

1. Sign up for our mailing list and get a free download
    2. Weekly/monthly drawing for free merch for email subscribers
    3. “We’ll play one more song if we get 20 new ‘likes’ on the FB page!”
    4. “If you like us, hit subscribe. Hey there (insert fan’s name) thanks for subscribing”. Instant drunken “WYOOOOO&^&(*&@$^(*&^&*!!!H!!!! YEAHHHHHHH” for getting a personal shoutout

So if you’ve got all that going on, start directing agents and club owners to your online presence, and be persistent in calling/emailing. Let them know you expect a response. You don’t have to be rude, but sometimes the “I’m going to keep bothering you until you tell me to eff off” tactic gets you the results you want.

For better or for worse lol

dickfitts likes this.
  7. dickfitts

dickfitts

Jan 18, 2012
    Right on! I'm into the idea of the in-gig social media push. Innovation is everything...

8. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Apr 15, 2013
    explain these computer telegrams to me again

dickfitts and knumbskull like this.