Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Installing new pickup..help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mr. Boo, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Mr. Boo

Mr. Boo

Mar 29, 2004
    I want to install Dimarzio Model J's into my Essex jazz bass. I've never done it before but would like to learn. Is this something that is easy enough to do? I have half a brain left... ;) Thanks for any help

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    To me, transplanting pups is a good place to begin with bass alterations. It's not difficult but there is practically always something that presents a challenge - especially for first timers. The pups my not fit the routings for example - and won't for a fact if the bridge is a Fender-like long and they're the same size standard routings on your bass. But if it's not that, you can pretty much bank on something else cropping up.

Good luck.

3. Mr. Boo

Mr. Boo

Mar 29, 2004
    Thanks so much...I'm sure that I won't have nothing more than a few wires to solder, right...hope so

4. Mr. Boo

Mr. Boo

Mar 29, 2004
    That's a cool diagram, wonder where those black wires from the pickup go... :(

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    they go to ground i.e. usually soldered to back of volume pot. That's where your current ground wires are I bet.

Note, the Dimarzio Model J's are four conductor wiring, not the usual 2 wire single coil/hb setup. The red wire equates to the white wire in this diagram, and the green wire equates to the black wire. The other two wires generally get soldered together to run them in series.

Alternatively, look at the pickup specification page on dimarzio.com and get the four conductor wiring diagram which explains all this and also tells you how to wire it for series/parallel switching if you wish. But if you don't know what a ground wire is, it's probably best not do the s/p switch right now - walk before you run.

6. Mr. Boo

Mr. Boo

Mar 29, 2004
    Talk Bass rocks! There are so many luthiers and elctricians here it's amazing! I'll let you know how I came out.