1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Instructor in SF versed in GD/ Phil Lesh

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by phunkyou, Jan 28, 2016.

1. phunkyou

phunkyou

Jan 5, 2015
    Hi all – first post here. I've been searching around for an instructor in SF that can teach me how to play in Phil's style and am coming up with nothing. Anyone able to point me in the right direction? Thanks!!

2. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I'm not a GD fan, and I don't believe Phil is any kind of a genius, just listen. There's nothing going there that's so complicated it can't be coped in a few minutes.
    If you have a basic (simple) ear, you'll be able to figure it out.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  3. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    You need to know the root of the chord so you can make sure you play the other 11 notes around it.

4. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    I think the right teacher can teach you how to figure almost anything. You don't say where you are on your musical journey, but knowing some basic theory will help. Ear training and some loop and slow down software will help. You probably already listen to quite a bit of Phil Lesh, but you'll probably learn to listen even more carefully. I was a Dead Head at one point, and I understand the appeal. Phil Lesh certainly has his own style.

Broaden your search to find teacher who can teach you how to figure out parts on your own, but also consider the other skills a teacher can build. Left and right hand technique. Sight reading standard notation. Ear training. Improvisation. Applied theory. Instrument set up.

5. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Doesn't Phil Lesh himself live near SF? Have you contacted him yet?

6. BrianB303

BrianB303 Supporting Member

May 20, 2018
    Denver CO
    I know this is an old post but i can do it by skype.....

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021