Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Interesting Trussrod design

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Hambone, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    That is both good and bad.

Weird design, you think it's completely reliable?

2. I don't know why not. The weak link is the TR nut - just like it should be. The brass nut will strip before the steel threads.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I got a few similar to those from a guy who used to work at Ovation when they imported Warwick. I don't know if that's what Warwick used or not - it might have been from something Ovation made.

They seem okay. I've only used one. I don't know if they can produce the same kind of force that an all-steel rod can.

4. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    what steel threads potentially stripping are you referring to there, Hammy? this auction item is listed as aluminum :eek:

I sense a stripped truss rod just waiting to happen. there's a reason that this is a left over from an old guitar shop

All the best,

R

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I second that! Al is not good for threads on that higher stress area!

It's bad enough I have to assemble an engine with head bolts into aluminum!

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I don't think Warwick used them. Since 1998, all basses have fixed steel truss rods and steel reinforcement in the neck, according to my repair manual. Might be from Framus Guitars, though, as they are closely affiliated with Warwick.

7. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Those rods were made and used by Warwick indeed. I've had the "pleasure" to deal with them on a couple of old warwicks...

Light and shallow it is, but they were always install so they work backwards and people often ruined the nut by"over thightening"

Peace,
    JP

8. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    It's a neat idea, and simple enough for the average garage machinist (though cutting the threads in square stock would be tricky for some). I actually have bezdez in my favourite sellers list just because he/she/it's always selling this kind of stuff.

A bit of figuring and you could probably make it into a serviceable two way rod, too.

-Nate

9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
  10. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    But what would the advantages of this design be? Would the flat bottoms interfere with one another, thus preventing the rods from actually doing what they are supposed to? And if not, how can one thread metal that isn't round?

11. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Potentially cheap, easy to fabricate, or light in weight. Plus requiring a shallow rout.
    Possible, but not likely.
    You put pairs of flats together to make squares, then turn down the ends. For the smooth bars you turn down to the minor thread diameter, minus some clearance; for the threaded bars you turn down to the recommended stock size for the threading die, which you then run down the two of them together. Now you've just made the bars for two truss rods.

I am interested, though, in JP's negative experiences with these.

12. If I'm reading him right, he was referring to the aluminum Warwick version. I've heard horror stories about Warwick aluminum trussrods but I didn't ever know their design. I would easily concur that an aluminum version of this wouldn't be good at all.

I'm interested in this since I make my own trussrods. This one in the Walnut Fairlane is like the Warmoth version - rod and bar - but I think I overspec'd it's stiffness and it's only a single action. I've figured out how to easily make it a double action but the design takes a little more work to get it installed correctly. I would rather just rout a very simple channel for installation and this design would only require a flat bottomed channel - the simplest to cut.

13. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Darkness - darkness - whoever let Voldemort into my firewall?

I can't get access to e-bay any more (or to photobucket and similar...yuck!)
    Can somebody mercyfully copy a pic or two into this thread? I'm nearly fainting from curiosity:help:

14. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Hope this works for you:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    BTW Hammy- did you get my PM re: aluminum disks?

16. sorry if this doesnt add much but ive never seen a truss rod like that befor.

17. Yes, got it and am acting on it now!

18. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Do you think there would be a significant chance of buzz when you didn't have much tension on the rod? I would probably want to come up with some type of thin insulating material between the rods just to be safe. As others have said, I like the simplicity of this design, looks like something I could have the guys at the machine shop throw together pretty quickly in custom lengths. How 'bout the nuts though, is that style nut readily available?