Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Intonation question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Nov 16, 2005.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have my intonation adjusted and am 90% happy with it. My only real problem is that things seem to be slightly off on the B string starting at about the 7th fret. Things like octaves and thirds sound a bit out of true - although lets face it - I'm not going to be playing such things in those mid to upper positions on the B string very much.

This is on a Buzz Feiten equipped MTD 535 which I have chosen to intonate ignoring recommended offsets because it sounds better to my ears that way, with this one small caveat.

So my question: Is it "normal" for intonation to be not quite as spot-on on the B string?

Perhaps my disregard for the Buzz Feiten offsets causes little penalty except on the B string. Or perhaps I just goofed when tweaking the B string and need to go back and re-check it.

Thoughts? Opinions?

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Intonation? *** is that? Pffft....

:D

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Only on TB can I get a response to a technical question in under 60 seconds!!!

...from a fire-snorting rottweiler who CLAIMS he owns a Lakland! :D ;)