Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Introduction and things

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by meateater540, Oct 12, 2005.

1. meateater540

meateater540

Oct 12, 2005
    Welp. Here i am. I played violin for 5 or 6 years, starting in grade 2 going to grade 7, then in grade 7 i picked up the double bass (along still playing the violin at the same time) played that for 2 years, then stopped. Started playing bass guitar in grade 7, never owned one untill a few years ago. Bought a used corsair and a 10 watt amp for 250ish. Anyway, i have moved on, now have a 100watt yorkville, and still have the corsair, and am looking for a new bass. Thats question number one. In the 200-400 price range, want 2 pickups. The style of music i listen to is heavy metal and classic rock, with some other stuff thrown in for good measure (apocalyptica anyone?). Oh, my name is trevor, and i live in canaduh. And that pretty much me.

2. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Good to have you here bud, enjoy the forums!

3. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    IMO you should get something decent and cheap like a Dean, Yamaha, or Godin. Godins are made in Canada. I really like a lot of things Canadian like Steve Nash, yorkville amps, Godin basses, Fbasses (heavenly basses!!!), and all the women I have met from there. Plus I am from Michigan just across the lake. GO PISTONS!!!!

Welcome to talk bass!!!. feel free to add me to your buddies and private message me for any advice on basses, amps, players etc...

Also, check out the "search this forum" function at the upper right of the forum or thread you are in and type "cheap bass" or "bass suggestion" "best bang for buck" or "basses in Canada" etc...
    GAS means gear acquisition syndrome and everyone here's got it!

also check out these expensive beauties!

fbass.com

4. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Let me be the first to tell you to just buy a Fender MIM precision. You're probably gonna get a lot more backing up that suggestion. Personally, I'd say go used.

5. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    good suggestion! that was my 1st bass.

6. I think he said he wanted something with two pickups. So why not an MIM jazz? And if you're looking on saving money, there definately is not a lack of support for SX basses on these forums. Check them out. www.rondomusic.net

7. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    D'oh! Yeah, an SX jazz would be a great way to go. :)

8. meateater540

meateater540

Oct 12, 2005
    i looked at a 500ish dolalr bass, man, it was so sexy. But alas, i need somethign soon because my other bass is going to hell, im getting this wierd humming noise. Its the same noise that iget when i take the patchcord out of the bass and just hold it there. Its not the patchcord either, nor is it the amp because i threw my brothers guitar on there. I was looking at this guy
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-Washburn-Osc...oryZ4713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
    not sure if guys have any beef with them, but it looked like a nice bass to me. And i know that the auction has ended.

9. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Look for a used Peavey Grind Bass BXP, one P and one J pup, they're discontinued now but I have one and they're really good, incredibly versatile instruments and good electronics and fit and finish. Excellent value for money. Pitty they replaced it with the NTB which imo doesn't compare.

10. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I really would stay away from Washburn, but that's just me. I think your best bet is an SX or Fender MIM jazz, or maybe a lower-level Ibanez or Peavey.