Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Iron Maiden - Killers

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Jan 19, 2006.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Popped this is this morning, I was tired as hell and need something to wake me up. Anyway, I realised this is one of those albums I consistently rediscover. Killers is by far my favorite start-to-finish Maiden album. I love alot of the later stuff with Bruce Dickinson...but something about this album that just does it for me. Killer bass bass playing (no pun intended), cool songs, lyrics, and so much energy. :bassist:

Definitely one of those albums I can't live without.

That is all, Back to work. :(

2. Greg Jones

Greg Jones

Dec 1, 2005
    Thornton, CO
    This album 'awoke' my ears to the wonderful sound of rock bass!!!

Girlfriend handed it to me one night just before I left her place. Popped it in the cassette deck of my Chevelle and was BLOWN away!!!

3. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    IMO it's their best record, period. And the only one I ever bought. The only record with that lineup - the old singer and "new" guitarist, nuff said.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    My favorite Maiden album is "A Real Dead One". But I am a sucker for live albums. And Maiden was ment to be played live.

"Scream for me Helsinki!"

5. Man, I've always loved Maiden- learning "Wrathchild" was my first step into more melodic, complex bass. Harry is such a good riff and song writer too. :bassist:

6. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    I was playing that stuff in '82! I'm glad they're still relevant. Killer stuff.
    :)

7. When I just started playing bass, in 1983 after seeing an Iron Maiden concert, I learned a bunch of stuff off of Killers. I was jamming some in a guitar store when this guitarist found me and I auditioned for his band. They were in their 20's and I was really just a kid still. I had a great time jamming Ides of March and Wrathchild with them but I really sucked horribly. I don't know what they were thinking having me audition. They were really good. We even played some Accept. They turned me on to a lot of music and gave me an education that might have been years away. I haven't thought about that in years. It was pretty sweet at the time (I sucked so badly that I didn't realize how badly I sucked so I had fun anyway).

And I agree that Killers is their best album. Iron Maiden and Number of the Beast tie for second. Piece of Mind ties with Powerslave for third. Though all of those albums are great, as far as Heavy Metal goes, so those rankings are really pretty close. The later stuff, I didn't get into so much. I moved on to Jazz at that point.

- Dave

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    "Killers" has such a confident attitude and sprawling energy that I personally don't find in any other of their material. Well, at least not with such consistency throughout an album - that kind of energy is of course delivered to us spotwise on their later albums (think "Aces High", "2 minutes to midnight", "Can I play with madness", "Be quick or be dead" and so on). But the whole "Killers" album packs a real punch. It's really rockin'. I love it.

9. Really? That over "Live After Death?" Because that one gets my nomination for Best Metal Live Album.

And I mean, they play sooo many old classics- PHANTOM OF THE OPERA!

10. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Exactly.

It's so bass driven, it opened my eyes to the bass being more than just back up for the gutarists. Which unfortunately happens alot in the metal genre.

11. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    (BTW, "sprawling" was not the word I really wanted to use. Scratch that. I hate English. ;))

12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yes, but for personal reasons, not musical ones ;)

13. I remember that I bought "Killers" because of the cover... I thought if the album looks like this, imagine how it sounds!!! ja ja ja.........But even though I love it, my favorite all time Maiden album has to be " Piece of Mind"........