1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is an 8 ohm cab acceptable for recording?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Felpsy, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Felpsy

Felpsy

Mar 2, 2009
    England
    Sorry if this has been covered, but I have searched extensively.

This weekend I'm back in the studio, only I've now got 2x 8 ohm 410h ashdown abm cabs.

My question, is a single 8 ohm 410h cab going to sound 'full' enough? Or do I need to use the full stack and achieve 4 ohms to get good results?
    For the record, our producer prefers to ONLY mic the cabs. NO di signals....

Cheers

2. otherclef

otherclef

Aug 10, 2011
    Charleston
    I record my bass through a preamp and into the "interface".

When micing cabs it really dont matter on ohms or watts... you mic because you like the tone of certain cab.

3. samurai1993

samurai1993

Jun 6, 2010
    Chile
    What really matters here is mic type and mic positioning. Also if the recording studio has good acoustics. If your producer worths a damn he will know all this, though

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    all that would matter as far as i can tell would be the one speaker that gets mic'ed.

if anything, the other speakers would just be interfering.

5. Felpsy

Felpsy

Mar 2, 2009
    England
    Ok so the 1 speaker being mic'd will be loud and full enough while its not using the amp heads full wattage?

6. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Yes.

7. Felpsy

Felpsy

Mar 2, 2009
    England
    I thank you

8. if it sounds good to you, yes.

specs donĀ“t matter here.

9. Mulebagger

Mulebagger

Dec 12, 2007
    poppin in the corn belt
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, Tsunami Cables, DR Strings, GK
    In college, I did a few (live) studio recordings with my band and used a mic with a Peavy Minx 10" combo. I had to stuff the seams with toilet paper so it didn't rattle. In the recording my bass sounds huge and clear. I much prefer going direct, but it ended well.

Ohms should play no part in the recording. Best of luck. Hope it goes well for you.

10. Felpsy

Felpsy

Mar 2, 2009
    England
    Thanks my man.

This will be our 5th time recording in this studio. I've always wanted to give mixing a di signal with micing but pur producer seems to think goin just mic will give a more natural sound. We get to go analogue instead of digital so I'm always happy to just trust him...though I always wonder