1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

IS IT NORMAL THAT MY BRIDGE PICKUP SOUNDS LIFELESS?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by los100malditos, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Vol-Vol-Tone P BASS PJ

i just installed P and J seymour duncans passive quarter pound pickups

this happens:

1 VOL. UP. NECK PICKUP alone SOUNDS GREAT

2 VOL. UP. BRIDGE PICKUP alone ALMOST CERO, LIFELESS THIN

WHEN NECK PICKUP VOL. IS UP AN THEN I TURN ALSO THE BRIDGE PICKUP VOL UP EVERYTHING GOES A LITTLE DOWN

IS IT NORMAL?

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    You're losing volume when you turn up both pickups? Sounds like phase cancellation.

If you don't like the way a bridge pickup sounds, it might not be the right pickup for you, or you might just need to play with the pickup heights to get it to sound the way you want.

3. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

I'm with FMB.. you have a wiring issue of some kind. If you post a pic, one of the grizzled veterans of this forum might spot the issue right away!

4. What guitar do you have (specifically)?

I got a 2003 MIM P-bass with a PJ setup same as you describe and pretty much the same observation, the bridge pickup is lifeless, I'm pretty happy with the neck P pups, but would like more out of the bridge J pup.....

Wondering if rewiring for parallel/series ability would help, or just swapping it out for a "better" pup.

I am assuming the guitar has Fender OEM pups installed.

Could just be poor wiring, from what I hear the MIM wiring is sometimes suspect and needs some resoldering and swapping pots and caps.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021