1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it offensive to sit down?

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by Broadbent, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Broadbent

Broadbent

Mar 28, 2007
    So I've got front row seats for NIN in Detroit. Is it rude if I sit for most of the show? I paid good money to be that close I just want to relax and enjoy the music. Does it bother you as a musician when you see someone not physically getting into the music?

2. I'll try to spot you from the lawn.......

3. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    Rude? No, absolutely not. I take no offense, unless it's a wider trend amongst an audience while we're actually melting faces and earning something quite a bit more than relaxed, seated viewing.

I've been through it all, I can take it. Sometimes I like to sit at shows, I know the deal.

I must warn you: I take no responsibility in the event you feel an irresistible compulsion to stand up and rock out, the whole show.

Good luck.

JMJ

4. unrealworld82

unrealworld82

Aug 18, 2008
    I have been to a number of NIN (and other shows) and always go for the pit, but I have noticed that those people in the seats generally remain seated, except for big applause moments. I will be joining them in the seats for the first time at the Tampa date this Saturday!

5. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Getting your face melted off is more comfortable while standing than it is while sitting.

6. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Unless your an older guy or if you have some kind of disablity I would stand.

It's not offensive, just not cool.

7. I got seated tickets (not on the floor) for my wife and I last time we saw The Cure because they play for like 3 hours and my wife has a low tolerance at gigs.

A guy and his girlfriend in the row in front of us got very excited during the girly pop second encore ("friday I'm in love/let's go to bed/close to me/why can't i be you?") and stood up.
    During the break between 2nd and 3rd encores there were some mutterings from the row behind us that they should "sit down".
    The girl took her seat but her fella kept standing.

It was then (from a big burley Aussie bloke seated behind us) that I heard a sentence that I never thought I would hear at a Cure concert:

"Hey boofhead... sit down or I'll knock you down."

I don't know the formula for sitting or not...I always feel like sitting at TOOL and Muse, but there was no way I could sit during bands like Hot Snakes or NIN at Melbourne this year.

8. Broadbent

Broadbent

Mar 28, 2007
    Well JMJ, I ended up feeling the urge to stand up and rock out the whole show. I was 2nd row on your side, the big guy with glasses who didnt clap when asked to, that was me. Excellent job tonight(although the setlist left something to be desired). Your performance and tone were both spot on tonight.

Good job.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Wow, wish I could have gone with you. You sound like a barrel of laughs at a concert. :eyebrow:

10. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    I always love the "you can't make me clap" fans, although I've noted that the "hands in pockets" variety always seem to be a bit harder to bring around than the "hands in armpits" variety.

11. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    You guys are funny.

Hey thanks Broadbent. Glad you liked the show.

12. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    I sat when I saw the Killers in Boston because there was a morbidly obese man practically laying down behind me and I didn't want to block his view.

13. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    See, that's where I'm coming from...well sorta.

I'm 6'5" and I pretty much block out the sun if I stand in front of most people. So, I've developed a sort of self-consciousness about standing in front of people.

My trick is to get there early, and if anyone knowingly sits behind me, it's their own fault.