1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Is it ok to be hitting a string with my joint?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Buhgingi, May 1, 2019.

1. Buhgingi

Buhgingi

Feb 13, 2019
    And I mean like if I have to go from 11 fret D to 11th fret G I just bring my finger down and hold the string with the boney part of my finger. Picture for reference 20190501_223250.jpg :

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    No, CBD would be better. :smug:

As long as it doesn't hurt or anything.
    Whatever works, works. It's all good.
    "As long as it sounds good, it is good." Count Basie

CosmicRay, JRA, RyanOh and 2 others like this.
  3. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    May not be “proper” technique to some people... I say rock on!!!

4. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    What you are describing is called a "bar" or "barre" and it is a fundamental technique on guitar-family instruments. You have my blessing to use the popular bar technique on your bass guitar. :)

Lobster11, gebass6 and Buhgingi like this.
  5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

most of the time the "whatever works" POV is correct. this would be one of those times. good luck with your playing! :thumbsup:

6. CosmicRay

CosmicRay Supporting Member

Just make sure it's not lit.

Oh---finger joint.....,if it works for you, why not?

7. I do that too...
    IMO, whatever works for you...:bassist:

8. BassChuck

BassChuck Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Why not? In my mind the only thing that makes a technique unusable (aside from sounding bad) is being unable to make the next move on time.

9. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    It's something you can do from time to time. Technically you are collapsing the joint which some folks would call a no no, but i think it's fine to use as needed to make a tricky passage a little easier. I do it sometimes on the double bass as well but only when i can't get to the note another way.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021