Is it really worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Josh Raines, Jun 8, 2005.

1. I live in Australia, and as most people probably know the prices are outrageous. So i was looking to import a jazz from japan. Here are the calculations i made:

Fender 62' reissue = 60,000 yen = $730 AUD
    Shipping = 14,000 yen = $170 AUD

74,000 yen = $900 AUD

Customs duty = $45 AUD
    GST = $110 AUD
    = $155 AUD (There are probably more taxes but im not sure)

$155 + $170
    = $325 AUD

$730 + $325= $1055 AUD

Total = $1055 AUD
    = $810 USD

What I am asking is, is it really worth buying this or for anyone is Australia could you please tell me what other options i have without getting completly ripped off.
  2. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Your cost estimates look about right.

To avoid getting ripped off, deal with a reputable seller/shipper and pay via creditcard (fax or phone details, never email)

Is it worth it? Do you want the bass and are the savings worth the extra hassle for you?

I import a lot of stuff, because I build gear and lots of the parts can't be had locally or is stupid expensive or with unsuitable lead times. Almost all the time it's worth the hassle.
  3. I'm pretty sure you don't have to pay GST for purchases outside Australia.

I've been thinking about the same sorta thing, except purchasing gear from the US instead of Japan. The biggest deterant is that if something goes wrong with whatever I buy it is really difficult to resolve. If I buy from the local guys, or even retailers in Sydney or Melbourne, I can get after sales support. If I buy from the US it's unlikely that I can get any such service/help.

However, the difference in price makes it almost worth taking the risk. I got a really good deal on my Stingray 4 when I bought it local 12 months ago. It was brand new and I got $800 of the retail price (my mate worked at the local), but it still cost me nearly $900 more than if I had bought one from overseas and paid to get it here. It's insane. The only brand I have seen drop in price since the Aussie dollar gained against the US is Ernie Ball. All Musicman basses dropped about 20% last september, and they are still at the lowered prices.
  4. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Yes you do. Sometimes duties apply too. The only exceptions are packages through the post at a delivered value (item + postage costs) of less than $A250, though this used to be $A499 and a lot of items still slip through 'free' under that threshold.
  5. Really? There you go. How do you go about actually paying the duty and taxes? Do customs just send a bill to your house or something?
  6. That's it exactly...the shipping company will have all the fees ready for you to pay upon pickup (no goods)
  7. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    There is no duty payable on solid body electric bass guitars imported into Australia.

There is, however, GST payable on the cost of the bass+shipping.
  8. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Depends. Through the post, they just calculate out what you owe, and the postie will deliver a red card (like for a registered letter) to your letterbox with the amount written on it. Go to the PO, pay the dollars and pickup the package.

Sent via a shipper like Fedex/UPS/DHL, they will contact you via phone (best to include your number to the seller to put it on the package) or mail with the amount owing. You can then pay via CC over the phone and they'll deliver it, or go down there and pick it up.

If you import through someone that doesn't have their own internal customs and bonded stores, then it'll get assigned to a Customs Agent, or yours if ou have one. Then you pay them the duties and their fees (start at about $A100+), and about a $A50 Customs 'entry fee'.

Do not, repeat DO NOT attempt to fill in the Customs paperwork if you value your time and sanity.

Best options are the PO for all items that fit size and weight limits, and the big three carriers mentioned above if you're bringing less than a fractional container quantity. For all the bashing that the relative post offices get, I've found AustPost and USPS to be excellent and very fast. I just got an item from the US in 4 days via airmail.
  9. Hmm, i'm confused does anyone have like an estimate on how much extra costs i would have to pay to import from Japan. Also do you have to get guitars quaratined since they are wood?
  10. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    You were right in your first post, except I'm not sure of an exact shipping cost, but otherwise it looks OK.
    I don't beleive you do. No one I know has had to have it done, nor have unfinished guitar bodies friends have imported been quarantined.
  11. G'day all,

I've just imported (well it should be here tomorrow or Monday) a G&L L-5000 (practically in mint condition) from the US via Ebay.

I've had to pay an extra $254.73 AUD which is broken up like this:

GST $189.58 (which is more than 10% because I paid slightly less than what was declared and the AUD vs USD is not as good as when I purchased the bass)
    Customs Entry Fee $54.20
    Security Fee $9.95
    GST on security fee $1.00

All I did was get a phone call from UPS and paid for it over the phone. Now I just have to hide the extra cost from the Treasurer / Opposition Leader / Wife or whatever else I feel like calling her today.

The nice lady on the phone suggested that anything over $1000AUD attracts GST even if it is 2nd hand (which doesn't sound fair). The bass was made 20 years ago or thereabouts.

But it should be all worth it as the bass looks to be in mint condition (from photos, even has original Silica Gel!) and could be one of the first 40 or so made of 400.

Hope this helps someone.

12. Forgot to mention that the bass has been briefly quarantined to open the package and check the wood.

13. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I bet you find the package wasn't ever opened. they irradiate it. Or so they say.