1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is preamp recommended for MB150E + Full Circle?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by AuxOne, Nov 5, 2010.

1. AuxOne

AuxOne

Sep 10, 2010
    Brooklyn
    I'm in the market for a pickup and a combo amp, and I noticed the general consensus is to go for the Full Circle pickup, and the MB150E amp. (Not necessarily together, they were just the most noted respectively.)

I didn't read anything regarding if a preamp is necessary to match the impedance of the Full Circle with the MB150E. Would you guys recommend one for this setup?

Thanks

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Aux One,
    The input impedance of the MBE is 1 megohm so you don't necessarily need one with the Full Circle, but it can improve the sound. I like Francis Decks' HPF Preamp. Version II has a Phase Reverse, Low Pass Fliter, and Volume Control. It's simple and works very well. Incidentially, IMHO unless you are going to use the GK for both Electric Bass and Acoustic the MBS model sounds better with the upright. Just my opinion though.

Ric

3. AuxOne

AuxOne

Sep 10, 2010
    Brooklyn
    Thanks for the advice. 1 MOhm seems sufficient so I think I'll pass on the preamp as I'm just a hobbyist. I do also play electric bass, so based on your recommendation it sounds like the the MB150E is best for me, although the S is $100 cheaper!

4. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I don't know what the official recomendation is, but I used this PU/Amp combo quite a bit and never with a pre-amp, so you certainly don't NEED one. I think some people prefer them to get whatever they are desiring dialed in or out, but I got a good result going direct.

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The preamp on the MBS is voiced better for Double Bass than the MBE. I have had both, and I like the MBS better for both Double Bass and Electric. YMMV though. In my experience you don't necessarily need a preamp between the Full Circle and the GK.

6. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I have Fdeck's wunderbox stuck to the side of my 150S with velcro. It doesn't do so much for the top but solidifies the low end and tightens it up. I didn't like the FC with it and returned to the Realist due to its warmer tone. That's with my bass, hands, etc, etc...........

It's interesting that I notice very little difference using the HPF pre with the 400RB which also has a 1meg input. Different strokes.

7. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    The only thing you really gain by buying the MBE is the chorus and the semi parametric mids that aren't that useful to me. So I'll defer to Adrian since he owns both of the amps.

Ric

8. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I no longer own the MBE, as I found the parametrics uneccessary. The amp is basically all midrange with very little real low end or high end, and the parametrics just don't seem to really add much to it.

9. Actually the most important thing you gain with the MBE is the possibility to send XLR out AFTER EQ. I personally could not live without that.

10. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Jaromir,
    Actually I used the DI on my MBE so little I totaly forgot about that. Now Personally, I'll trade that DI for the MBS EQ but I could see where others would want control of their pre amp mix.

Ric