Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is the answer eq or compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jimbo, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    hey everyone

i've recently gotten into effects and as i have been building up my board i've noticed some volume issues. seems some of my pedals really get loud and others get quiter than my normal clean bass tone. so i'm looking for a way to solve this, i don't know if an equalizer or a compressor will work best. i know the compressor will help even out the peaks and drops in my sound, but the eq will control certain frequencies that are causing problems...right? or should i just go for a volume pedal?

-jimbo

2. Eisenmann

Eisenmann

May 12, 2004
    i think you will be fine with a comp because it makes the quit ones louder and the loud ones quiter. try the ebs comp its pretty cool with its tube-comp simulation

3. E.O.M.

E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    All of the pedals I use have a Level control on them so I can adjust the output to that of my clean sound.

Don't yours?

4. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    no, my pedals don't have a Level Control, although i know what you are talking about and have seen them on other pedals. that sure would be helpful!

yeah, Eisenmann, i was looking at the ebs if i do go for compressor--it seems to get only positive comments here on TB

-jimbo

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Treat the illness, not the symptom. A compressor will be a band-aid patch that will have other consequences on your tone that you may not want.

If your pedals are radically changing your levels and do not have level controls, then you need to replace those effects with ones that do. Most quality effects have level controls precisely for this reason.

6. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Hey Jimbo. What pedals are you using? Perhaps I could be of service.

7. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    as of right now i'm running a boss bf-2b flanger, danelectro cool cat chorus, and an akai intelliphase all through a loooper. there are a couple of other pedals i'm hoping to add in the future.

-jimbo

8. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    How about a hexacomp? A 6 band eq specific comp.?

9. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Probably the best thing for you is a Boss LS-2. I'd take the pedals that raise your signal and put them in one loop and the pedals that lower your signal in the other loop. That way you can use the volume controls to balance out the loops and make them even. Then I'd run that into your loooper since the LS-2 doesn't have true bypass and then just use your loooper as a true bypass pedal.

10. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Or if you like the tone those effects are yeilding you can get a loooper with built in level controls.

Ted

11. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    thanks for all the suggestions guys. i think right now my pedals aren't radically changing my volume, only enough thats noticeable to me and my band. i guess a better way to express it would be to say that some frequencies seem to be boosted more so than others by the effects.

so i'm starting to lead towards an eq that i could dial in when i switch the pedals on to round out the sound and boost/cut what needs to be.

does that make sense?

-jimbo