1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is the STV 450H capable?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Usefulidiot, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Usefulidiot

Usefulidiot

Oct 10, 2009
    just got the STV 450H with a 4x10 enclosure and lost all the presence i had in the band...granted i was playing on a Mesa boogie big block 750 witha 2x15 enclosure...(wont get into why i dont have it to play on anymore). Would the STV 450H be capable of holding a 1x15 cab and not under/over power the speakers or clip the amp for the power?

Manual said amp was 500w/1000w peak. im just not to good with figuring all this stuff out and i dont trust the sales "kids" to have the knowledge at the music shop i go to.

any help would be appreciated =)

2. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    well, if the 410 is an 8ohm cab... your are then only giving about 250-300 watts to the cab.... if its a 4 ohm its getting the full 450.... same goes for a 1x15.....

the BEST way to get the power of that head is to put it with one 4 ohm cab, or two 8 ohm cabs.... and two cabs is probably the most optimal as not only will it give you the full power of the amp, but you will have more speaker surface area for greater overall presence and volume.... i used a svt450 and 2 410s in a doom band against a sunn model t and a marshall jcm800 and it held its own very nicely

3. Usefulidiot

Usefulidiot

Oct 10, 2009
    yes the cab is an 8 ohm cab...reason i wanted the 1x15 was for that chest rattling punch that the mesa had however i love the tones i have been getting from the ampeg. so i figured 2x15 was probally way to much for the amp. is there an 8ohm 1x15 possibly?

4. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    most 1x15s are 8ohm.... youd just have to check... its best if you can find one that is of the same wattage rating as the 410 if you pair them up....

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If it were me I wouldn't get a 115. It doesn't work like you think it would. The 410 goes about as low as the 115 and is a lot louder, plus if you have two of them stacked you get a lot bigger low end presence than adding a 115. Some people do the 410/115 thing and like it, but it doesn't make sense from an acoustical standpoint. An 810 rig is the way to go if you want to max out the capabilities of your head.

6. this is quite sage advice, for the longest time I wanted a 4x10 with a 1x15 and finally got a chance to play on it and was underwhelmed.