Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there such a thing/practice tool

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Chef, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Is there such a thing as a cd player that will slow tracks down without changing pitch so I can more effectively steal chops from my favorite bass players?
    Also, is there a cheap one/two/four track recorder-playback kinda thing where I can lay down some basic rhythm tracks to practice soloing over? Recording quality does not need to be good, just something I can lay down a basic bass or guitar track, put on some headphones, playback, and solo over. Recording my attempted solos for review would a a huge bonus, but not necessarily required...

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    uh, where have you been? :D ;)

Boss or Roland has the CD-BT 1 (i think that's the name) - it's actually made for bass, too! :)

also, google this topic...there are some freeware app for this as well!

:)

3. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    If I could think of a phrase to google this with, I would...what am I asking for. You're right, I'm waay outta the loop here, tell what I'm shopping for, and where to go:)

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    did you try to find the CD-BT? i got mine (actually the guitar version, the bass version didn't come out yet) from www.musiciansfriend.com for 149 a couple of years ago...

i remember back in the 80's or 90's the old Marantz tape players that would do this! i had one and paid a huge penny!! :D

5. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Tascam CDBT1 Portable CD Bass Trainer, yeah, found that, thanks! the guitar version is $10 cheaper, any reason to get the bass version?

6. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    It's Tascam, BTW. I have the CD-GT1 (got it before the bass one came out) and I love it. Very useful. I use it to help me learn to play some riffs up to speed.

Edit: I was typing while you posted. I don't know of any real difference between the two, but the bass one might have different effects/EQ (which I've never used).

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i would trade my guitar version for the bass version any day. the bass version has an EQ set on it to remove the bass parts (or at least try to). the guitar version doesn't do that. also, the bass version just has better sound for bass than the guitar version.

btw, DO NOT BUY THE ORIGINAL POWER SUPPLY!!!! it's simply too expensive! :D get one from Radio Shack for $9.

getting back to the CD BT/GT thingy's - i personally think the coolest feature, in addition to slowing things down is the loop feature! you can listen to that Woody Shaw or Coltrane lick over and over and over and over again till you puke. :D also (and i use this with my Abersolds) is the key switching mode.....say your practicing Stella but you want to play it up a half step...you can! ;)

the only thing that i don't like.....(and this is from the whole Abersold thing) is that you can't pan or get rid of the left or right track or do a mono thing...(to isolate the bass or piano track).

hope this gives you some GAS!!!

:D ;)

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    also, before i forget....

don't expect to use the thing with batt's....they don't last at all...you need to get the power supply!

9. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Nothing against the Boss / Roland CD-BT 1 but you probably already have the hardware in your PC.

http://www.slowgold.com has a software program that alows your PC to do what the DC-BT does.

If you are on the road alot, the CD-BT might make more sense. (While travelling, I used slowgold on a laptop.)

10. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    http://sky.prohosting.com/oparviai/pacemaker/
    Plugin for winamp.
    Lets you:
    Change speed without changing pitch.
    Change pitch without changing speed.
    Save pitch/speed changes to a file so you can burn CD's, carry them on your mp3 player, etc.
    I use it all the time.

11. Windows Media Player has speed-changing built in, but you've got to rip the song to wma or mp3 first. Too bad it doesn't change pitch as well.

12. Many Creative soundcards come with a media player that will slow down a track without changing the pitch. I use it all the time.

13. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    It seems to me that some of the common audio software apps do this as well. You can rip/record a tune into your system, save it, and load/import it into Sonar, CEP, Cubase, any of 'em. Depending on the features of your program, you can do all this stuff already.

That loop window in Slowgold looks like Cool Edit's window...

I suppose the portable idea is nice about the Tascam & Roland things, though. Maybe you don't want to move your computer jig into your kitchen for an hour or two.

14. I had the tascom one for bass. I opened it up, tried it out, and sent it back on its way. It did what it says it will do, but they don't mention that it will sound like junk.
    I guess for $149 what did I expect. My advice is to sit down with a cd player that you can loop an A/B section, and just hammer it out by ear. I think it'll make you a better "by ear" player anyway.

Save your money.

15. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    why type of head phones were you using?

16. Sony Pro MDR-7506. Not uber fancy, but better than average.

17. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    hmm, interesting - those are nice headphones, too...

i use Shure or Future Sonic In-Ears and my bass sounds decent with my guitar version....

wow, maybe i shouldn't buy the bass one and keep my guitar version

18. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    I use a Korg Pandora Px for bass, it's a handy unit, Always use it when practicing with headphones.
    It allows you to record up to 32 seconds over any drum(or metronome) pattern you have selected. you can only loop one track though.

It also can record external audio like a CD up to 32 seconds, and that can be slowed down.
    It does have some sound quality issues when recording, but for ease of use it's perfect for practicing.
    It's also very small like one of those old Zoom effects units

19. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Definitely check these out...has lots inside, (drums, effects, phrase trainer etc.) is very portable and truly Pandora's Box.

http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=PX4B&category_id=6

I use mine every day and it is some of the best money I ever spent at $219.00. Check Ebay as well you may be able to find one cheaper....

Try one out for sure at a Music Shop beforehand if you can....some may consider some of the beats and effects cheesy....but hey you can't please everybody all the time.