1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this a genuine Mexi Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Acoustic356, Feb 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Acoustic356

Acoustic356 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
  2. bassobrutto

bassobrutto Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Yes, clearly Franken territory. The neck looks like it is from a Classics Series 70s Jazz bass. Body and pickguard (probably non-original) look Fender-y and bridge pickup looks original--could be anything from a cheapish Squier to something a bit more fancy. Given the slightly aged cream color, and the relative rarity of stock Fender or Squier PJs, I would guess it's from an older Squier Precision Special (no longer made). If so, with original pickups, probably not worth price. But I am sure others will have their say.

Acoustic356 likes this.
  3. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    That's what I was thinking... It's nice, but at that price? I would have to play it... could be really good or horrible...

4. bassobrutto

bassobrutto Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Also, if it matters to you, as far as I can remember, those MIM 70s Jazz necks are pretty chunky--definitely not the slimmer traditional Jazz feel. Maybe the original 70s ones were like that too--I honestly don't know. But if its local, pay it a visit and see if it "speaks to you"!

Acoustic356 likes this.
  5. If it was 300-375 I'd look a lot harder. At 600, nope. You can find used USA models getting into that price range if you look hard enough.

6. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    @bassobrutto It's in Boston... I'm in Atlanta... so... no luck...

7. jaybones

jaybones Inactive

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    As the Brits say it certainly looks the business, but that much for a frankenfender...

Half that, sure. But at that price without getting to play it first.

Acoustic356 likes this.
  8. I don't know a lot about what to look for in spotting genuine vs not, so here to learn.
    The headstock logo just doesn't seem right to me.
    Can't say why though. Am I way off base?

9. The neck, including the logo, looks right for an MIM Classic '70s Jazz.

It's clearly a Frankenbass of some kind, though, since the body is Precision-style with P/J pickups, and the pickguard is probably not original (I don't recall ever seeing an MIM Fender with that color guard, certainly not against that color body -- which I'm guessing has been refinished). No way to tell from here what the body is; could be MIM, could be Squier, could be Warmoth. Taking the neck off to see what the unfinished wood looks like would give some indication. Something looks wrong about the bridge too, though it's hard to be sure.

I wouldn't be interesting in buying this. The price they're asking is crazy anyway; $300 might be reasonable.

10. Thanks for the lesson. :thumbsup:

11. filler83

filler83

Jan 5, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    I emailed them about this one when it popped up last week. They said genuine MiM fender 70’s neck as mentioned above, but couldn’t figure out the rest. They even admitted it’s probably a Franken bass. This begs me to question how they decided to price this at over $600 for a sale price!?

12. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    One of the Basic Rules of Life is - "Ya won't Get, if ya don't Ask." That's why...;)

Acoustic356 likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021