Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by rockapede, Jan 4, 2005.

1. My band has decent (not great but decent) backline equipment, but all of the PA stuff we use is borrowed from our church. We don't play out all that often so borrowing the stuff isn't a big deal now, but are looking to gig more and would like to aquire our own equipment. The guy we borrow the mains from (Peavey Sp-5s) is is buying new speakers for his southern gospel group and has offered to sell them to us for $250 for the pair. I know they work and work well as we used them this last weekend, but they are probably four or so years old. We will have these for a while so are there any issues w/reliability I should know about? Good deal?

2. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    Good cabs, good reliability and all that. You can get new ones for maybe $250 or so - a piece.

Good deal? Seems like it, but its up to you.

3. Talk them down to 200 for the pair.

4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    $250 for a pair of decent mains is a good deal. Although borrowing them from the church is cheaper, you wouldn't want to be responsible for the church losing it's PA if it gets damaged during a gig.

But if you can talk him down, then more power to you. But, owning your own equipment is the way to go.

5. Exactly. If I, in my ignorance, accidentally destroy a piece of equipment and have to repair or replace it, I want it to be my stuff so I can keep the replacement. This is all beside the fact that our church is being really cool about the borrowing thing. BTW we bought the Peaveys.