Is This Normal For Chromes?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Wolfhound32, May 7, 2021.

1. Wolfhound32

Wolfhound32

Sep 10, 2013
    WA State
    New to flats and I've began looking for a set I like best.

Bought two sets of Chromes (45 - 100) for my P-bass, and both sets had an E string where the wraps are separated at various spots along the string. The first set I noticed once installed, the second I could see it before installation:

ChromesE2.jpeg

ChromesE1.jpeg

Next I installed a set of Fender 9050 flats and those wraps were nice and tight... I liked the Chromes better, but I can not believe these gaps are normal; two sets in a row with the same 'problem'?

So, Chromes users-- whatcha think? This normal?

DJ Bebop and Peter Torning like this.
  2. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    I cant say I have ever looked at a string that closely. How do they sound? If they sound good is it really a problem?

3. Wolfhound32

Wolfhound32

Sep 10, 2013
    WA State
  4. Wolfhound32

Wolfhound32

Sep 10, 2013
    WA State
    After installation I could feel something was different around the 5th fret and that's when I took a closer look (thought it might have been dirt, buffing compound, or something).

Sound wise, there was a very noticeable volume difference between the E and the other three. The others were nice and strong, and the E was dead sounding. Raised the pickup on the E side, lowered the others to compensate, but it sounded much weaker than the others. Fretted notes on the E string sustained half as long as the other three.

The Fender 9050 set is pretty even, with the whole set being noticeable louder than the Chromes which I didn't expect. Honestly expected the Fender's would be very close to the Chromes... what with all the rumors about D'Addario being the supplier of Fender strings.

StevieMac likes this.
  5. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Interesting, I've never had any volume inconsistency with chrome.

Cant hurt to get in touch with d'addario.

One Way and Wolfhound32 like this.
  6. Fender-branded strings are in fact made by D'Addario, although to different specs.

That said, there shouldn't be such a noticeable volume difference between the Chromes and the 9050s as they're both stainless steel flatwound. Something's not right with that E string.

7. Wolfhound32

Wolfhound32

Sep 10, 2013
    WA State
    Thanks guys~

I reposted the question over in the Chromes User Group thread. Yet another reminder to how expansive TB actually is LOL!

8. D'addario does mess up sometimes. They make a LOT of strings. It happens. They also stand behind their products. You'll be taken care of, but take those pics, or the link to this thread, and send it to them.

They are the strings I've used the longest (not Chromes, but nickel wounds, steel wound, and on guitar I often use their nickel wounds, I guess you could say rounds for all or wounds, roundwounds? you know what I mean...).

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  9. Wolfhound32

Wolfhound32

Sep 10, 2013
    WA State
    Mistakes happen. I’m not at all upset, just trying to confirm my suspicion that the gaps in the string are not normal. These were my first set of flats, so it’s new territory ;)

PennyroyalWe, Billyzoom and dkelley like this.
  10. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I've got a set of Chromes that show some smaller gaps, nothing like that though. Still, I wondered...

Wolfhound32 likes this.
  11. Yea totally. What concerned me is when you said you first noticed it because it felt different around 5th fret. If youcan hear it or feel it then it's a problem.

Wolfhound32 and fat_nermil like this.
  12. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Been using Chromes for years now, never an issue...

Wolfhound32 likes this.
  13. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Just send an email to Daddario.

Wolfhound32 likes this.
  14. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    I’ve had a set of EB Cobalt flats that had big gaps like that. I noticed they build up grime faster on the gappy strings, and eventually broke up by the tuning peg.

Wolfhound32 likes this.
  15. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    Just looking at my jazz right now with Chromes I am not seeing any gaps with the naked eye. Never noticed anything like that. Been using them as my go to flat for years on many basses.

Wolfhound32 likes this.
  16. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Sounds like a bad or loosely wound batch got through.

RocknRay and Wolfhound32 like this.
  17. Martin Beer

Martin Beer

Dec 4, 2004
    I haven't seen that with the couple of sets of Chromes I've had. That said, where issues with strings do crop up occasionally, D'addario have been responsive and helpful when I've contacted them.

Wolfhound32 likes this.
  18. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Wound strings are intentionally made so that the stiffness comes from the core wire. Fot that to hold true, the wndings need to have space between them. It may not be visible, but the gaps need to be there. If they aren’t, then vibration wise you have a solid string, whick will sound pretty bad - harmonics out of tune, etc. Uneven gaps aren’t that bad, so long as none of them go to zero, or the winding is so loose that it rattles.

Wolfhound32 likes this.
  19. From whom/where did you purchase the strings?

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021