Is this normal? Rotosound (flats) RS77LD users needed!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BECKER, Dec 19, 2021.

1. BECKER

BECKER

Jan 24, 2016
    First time user of these strings here. Should I worry about what appears to be the unraveling of the wrap of the string in the area between the saddle and bridge string through? Is this normal for these strings? Please see the pic below and thanks! These strings are brand new and playing normally so far.

upload_2021-12-19_19-26-43.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
  2. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    I've got three basses wearing Roto 77s, and I've never seen that.

Whether you should worry about it? I'm not qualified to say. I doubt I'd let it worry me much?

3. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    I've had it happen on at least certain basses. I know they're great strings, but maybe not every bass wears them well. I didn't keep them on. Maybe they would have been fine, but in my opinion, a bass string shouldn't do that. I returned the faulty set and got a different brand.

4. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    It looks normal to me. You just can't see it on strings with silk wrapping in that area.

5. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

I've had the Roto RS77's on a couple of basses; the heavy ones from a 5-string LD5 set, tuned BEAD, on an '06 Carvin LB-20 with a Hipshot B bridge; and the RS77LD set on an '18 Gibson Thunderbird with a Babicz Full Contact bridge. And, I have to say; I have never had that happen with Rotos. With any other brand - or type - of string, as far as I can recall. Personally? I'd give serious thought to having Rotosound replace those...:rollno:

6. BECKER

BECKER

Jan 24, 2016
    Thanks for the responses! The sales representative at Sweetwater where I bought the strings tells me this is normal for flats to do this and I should anticipate no problems with these strings. Just contact them if I have any tuning stability issues. I’m thinking I’m going to return the strings to Sweetwater if they’ll take them or Rotosound directly if Sweetwater is a no go.

7. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone

Apr 2, 2019
    Hey @BECKER, I have a new set of SM77 (hybrid gauge) here and they look just like that.

8. BECKER

BECKER

Jan 24, 2016
    Alrighty then. Thx for posting that! I guess I’ll see if any others chime in on this issue/non-issue.

9. Yeah, doesn't look right to me.

10. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone

Apr 2, 2019
    What I meant was, as long as they're real Rotos I don't care whether or not they are finished neatly at the end.